Re: What Roster would you have if........?

Bruce=A0Favinger wrote: What roster would you have if you could only ever have 2 different locomotives and 12 cars? Just interested to see what the bare bones would really be if we had to.

-------------------------------------------------- A tough question, Bruce. Hmmm....

If steam, two 4-8-4s and probably nine refrigerator cars and maybe a couple of tank cars and a caboose.

If Diesel, possbly two SD7/9s and the same cars.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Probably a GP-7 or 9, and a GE 44 tonner.

8 Box cars 2 Gondolas 2 flat cars

Assuming a caboose doesn't count towards the 12.

Could do passenger service with a gas-electric or RDC.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Huge overkill, Bill. I'm with Trainman; two smaller locos (2-8-0, 4-6-2, or GP7 and FP7) and 9 freight cars, three passenger.

I could NEVER do this, of course! LOL!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

For that few pieces of equipment I would have an industrial terminal company or switching company with no line of road:

2 Alco RS-1s 3 boxcars 2 gondolas 2 reefers 4 tank cars 1 flat car

If I did a short-short line that "went somewhere", I would do almost the same thing:

2 Alco RS-1s 3 boxcars 2 gondolas 2 reefers 3 tank cars 1 flat car 1 drover's caboose.
Reply to
Captain Handbrake

A Tuscan GG1 A Brunswick GG1

4 coaches 1 diner 1 observation 2 mail cars 2 baggage cars 2 sleepers

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

NOOOOO! It's tooo horrible to contemplate!!!!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

C-16 2-8-0 T-12 4-6-0

2 boxcars 2 gondolas 1 tank car 1 stock car 1 flat car 1 caboose 1 combine 2 coaches 1 working rotary snow plow (oh yeah!!) All D&RGW 3' Gauge (2.5" scale running on 7.5" gauge), on about 25 partly-wooded, rolling acres with about a mile of already built track. Gary Q
Reply to
Geezer

Hmmm, tough one.

A shortened 6-car Twin Cities '400' with a C&NW streamlined Pacific, and a GP7/9 with 2 commuter cars, and a peddler freight of 4 cars. That way I can run a long-distance '400', a commuter, and a freight.

Jay

website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.

Reply to
JCunington

different

we had to. My

Aaargh! You come up with the hard ones Bruce. There's no way I'd give up my RDC, but I don't think of it as a loco in the sense I think you meant. To me it's a self propelled car, so I fudged a little bit and only picked 11 other cars instead of 12.

If I really had to choose (all NH):

Locos:

Steam: 4-8-2 #3555 Diesel: DL-109 #724

Cars:

Self Propelled: RDC

Passenger:

1 Comb Baggage & Lounge 3 Coaches 1 Sleeper ("Hogart" now that Branchline is doing a kit of it.)

Freight:

3 Box 1 Flat 1 Gondola 1 Covered Hopper

Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

I'd go for a traction theme:

1 BLW steeple cab.

1 BLW boxcab.

6 boxcars, wood, s/s & d/s.

2 40' reefers, 1 wood, 1 steel.

2 36' reefers, wood.

1 caboose.

1 Niles combine.

If the layout were based on Sacramento Northern's 40th Street & Shafter Avenue yard in Oakland, it would be quite workable with this size roster.

Interesting idea, Bruce, it's gievn me food for thought!

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Bill Replied: A tough question, Bruce. Hmmm.... If steam, two 4-8-4s and probably nine refrigerator cars and maybe a couple of tank cars and a caboose. If Diesel, possbly two SD7/9s and the same cars.

and then Brian Ehni said: Huge overkill, Bill.

------------------------------------------------- I can't help it if I like lots of power on my trains.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

1 UP Big Boy 1 C&O Allegheny 10 auxilliary tenders (5 for the Big Boy, 5 for the Allegheny) 2 cabooses (one for each)

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Not too far fetched an idea if you are running a branch line.

2 Alco RS1's 4 Boxcars 4 Hoppers 2 flats 2 tanks

"Bruce Favinger" wrote in news:XljHd.16885$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

Obviously an HO scaler or larger! Only 12? I've got 24 covered hoppers in one Plano 3700 box... ;)

Hmmm... 12 cars and 2 engines?

2 SD90s 2 40 axle (80 wheel) Schnabel cars 2 12 axle (24 wheel) flats with Schnabel platforms (actually, makes 1 "car" with the load in place, but they're fittings for existing flats...) 4 89' container flats (for idlers) 2 16 axle (32 wheel) articulated depressed-center flats 2 cabooses

(OK, I like BIG stuff...)

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Hello

For me I th>What roster would you have if you could only ever have 2 different

My Website:

Anthony

Interesting how the answer to this question interacts with the layout ideas, isn't it? Some folks dream of filling their basement with five scale miles of double track and running 40-car intermodals freights hauled by quad SD40s. But a mere dozen cars would be lost on that.....

My list (all N-scale): Shay (the new Atlas relaase, presumably) Early diesel (or medium-size steamer)

3 - log cars 2 - 40' wood box cars 2 - wooden gon 1 - coal hopper (to fuel the Shay) 1 - flat, bare 1 - flat, fitted out as MOW car 1 - woodside combine 1 - 4-wheel caboose

And instead of the basement empire: a 4x8 or small donut, based maybe on one of Iain Rice's harbour plans. Say a "mainline" loop running between staging and a town w/ saw-mill, docks and misc. small industry, plus a steep logging branch. The Shay (obviously!) works the logging branch, while the other loco runs the loop, bringing a daily mixed train through town.

-- Kizhe

Reply to
Lt. Kizhe Catson

You must really HATE E-units, then. Long heavy drag units they WERE NOT.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I'd do almost exactly the same except for choosing SPC as the prototype and I'd have no use for the snow plow... Excellent scale for modelling.

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

Except that EVERYBODY can see all the rivets!!!! LOL!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I'd model a small farming town served by Canadian National:

1 GMD1 (A1A trucks + steam generator) sargent stripes scheme 1 GP9 (high nosed + steam generator) noodle scheme

6 cylindrical grain cars

1 50' boxcar 1 60' flatcar 1 LPG tank 1 50' tank 1 coach/baggage passenger car 1 caboose
Reply to
J Barnstorf