OT - "Round Up" herbicide

You can buy 18% Round Up concentrate for $30 a quart or you can buy 41% glyphosate for $28 (shipped) a _gallon_ (

or
).

That's a 1/10 the price, adjusted for concentration and size. Never mind the price comparison to pre-diluted ("Ready to Use") Round Up.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Roundup, An Herbicide, Could Be Linked To Parkinson's, Cancer And Other Health Issues, Study Shows

Reply to
Proton

Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I stop by RuralKing every couple of weeks or so, I bought their 2-1/2 gallon for $35-$40 last year. It's a lot better buy than what you get from the lawn and garden departments.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Bob Engelhardt on Wed, 01 May 2013

21:01:49 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

OT, but - how is Round-up against butter-cup, and b) long term effects which might make using it to clear a garden patch contra-indicated?

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Don't know and b) don't know. My knowledge is that there isn't anything that I've used it on that it hasn't killed. That the overspray is a bitch, killing everything around the target as well as the target*. I used it to kill the grass where a garden was going and I haven't noticed any lon trm sidw afecs (yttt(((

Bob

  • - where I just cannot live with overspray, I paint it on the foliage, using latex gloves and a swab.
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I use lots of roundup. It is effective against buttercup, many species in this family. AFAIK there is no concern of roundup in the soil.

A latex glove with a cotton glove over it is an effective swab applicator. Use 1/3 roundup, 2/3 water. Milady does a couple acres of strawberries this way every spring.

A solo backpack sprayer and a 1% v/V solution works great for spot treating an area up to a few 1000 sqft. Keep pressure very low, so it just forms a fan on the nozzle and overspray is not an issue. I treat around the tree trucks on about 10K trees every spring this way.

Roundup does not work on the succulent class of weeds. Seedum and milkweed are two examples. There are a few others with thick leaves as well, like sandburr, others. Roundup resistant weeds are becoming a problem in fields that have used roundup ready corn and beans for many years now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I like diquat (Spectracide) for milkweed. We have milkweed in the corners, behind the garage, etc. It's fast, too, and, in homeowner retail quantities, at least, it's about half the price of Roundup.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

With higher concentrations, it can sterilize soil for a number of years. My b-in-l gave my grandmother some Roundup concentrate from one of his barrels, was what they used on the farm and was supposed to be diluted like 1 quart to a tractor sprayer full of water. She was going to use it on the grass between her sidewalk sections. I'm sure he gave her instructions on how it was supposed to be diluted. Anyway, she put the concentrate on full strength, nothing grew there for 5 years, it migrated over to the tomato bed and killed that off for the same time. Really sandy soil underneath. Stuff needs care when you use it, it's not mother's milk. In some states you need state certification to get the higher concentrations. I use it to kill off grass and weeds in the gravel out by my alley, usually lasts a year. With bindweed, it always comes back the next year. There's not much in this part of the country it won't kill, but there are plants that won't be affected. Usually it's on the label what it works on. I've found that the mix in Weed-B-Gone usually kills anything that Roundup leaves and doesn't kill grass, it's mostly 2-4- D. Reminds me to get some down, have dandelions out already and it just finished snowing day before yesterday.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

I remember seeing the hose-end applicator of Weed-B-Gone at Walmart last year for about five bucks (six bucks at HD). This year the price has gone up to $10 at Walmart ($12 at HD). I checked the concentrations, and the labels are the same.

I wonder why the price would double in a year...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Weed B gone is just another example of rip off pricing for low concentration herbicides packaged for idiots (er sorry, homeowners) get a gallon of 2-4-D , lifetime supply for homeowner, for under $20.

Preen is another one. its 1% treflan sprayed on floor dry for like $20 a gallon package. About 10 cents worth of treflan if you bought it by the gallon.

Preen perennial is Eptam, the homeowner might not find this one. I got milady a gallon for her flowers, a life time supply. Same thing, a gallon for Preen perennial has about 10 cents of Eptam in it.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Take your pick, but don't limit the choice to only one:

Minimum wage increases, CEO wage increases, stock/share-holder profits, gasoline/diesel prices, greed.

Oh, I forgot one. When some paranoid bitch thinks her prize peekapoo has been poisoned by X chemical and gets some of the fruitcakes in D.C. to ensure that it's taken off the market, the remaining chemicals double in price to make up for it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We have horrible bindweed problem in my wife's English Garden area. Wild Morning Glory they are called too?

Roundup is useless on it. Some damn transplant she brought home probably it hitched a ride on.

I hear the only way to kill it is cover the land effected with a heavy black plastic for two years. Does this work? I'm ready to rip everything out and try it. Does it have a central mass it spreads from? Any small piece of root left in the ground spreads a new infection it seems. How can I get rid of it? Any other ideas?

Thanks PaulS

Reply to
PCS

The USA and Canada, under a states and provinces agreement, have substantially reduced the use of herbicides used in cities that drain into the Great Lakes water system. The only exception are golf courses in urban areas. The reason why the great lakes system is poisoned is still due to irresponsible agricultural use.

And if you live in Corn Country like Indiana, whose state has a real problem with the water table being demised because it's reliant on water wells but still have access to the Great Lakes water system, they have been refused use during droughts, simply because the treaty insists that the water be treated and put back into the system. Something that the State of Indiana is not willing to do.

The preservation of water is important to great states like Indiana, but all they want to do is suck, suck, suck. And not pay their way.

Reply to
Jim Moody

ld Morning Glory  they are called too?

ack plastic for two years.

have a central mass it spreads from?

ms.  How can I get rid of it?

Many major cities have banned the use of herbicides, not only by municipal authorities, but by people. The great fear was that there would be a huge growth of Dandelions. It didn't happen.

Dandelions and Cats were the first "intrusive species" introduced to North America.

Neither belong here.

Reply to
Jim Moody

Morning Glory they are called too?

Probably.

plastic for two years.

Yes.

spreads from?

Yes, it seems to. Luckily, mine is in the grass and I leave it for the pretty little flowers. I'm getting infestations of puncture vine on my roadway strip each year now. I dig it out and poison it with roundup and crossbow, alternating, but it's back every year. I think I'll have to walk up the road and find the main mass to kill IT.

How can I get rid of it?

Dig out complete shovelfuls when you find it in the ground.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Field Bindweed Control Practices for Noncropland Practices approved for controlling bindweed on noncropland are: (1) hoeing and (2) application of appropriate herbicides. Hoeing - In noncropland areas such as home gardens and flower beds and for horticultural or forestry plants, thorough hoeing every 10 days to

2 weeks during the growing season can control bindweed effectively. It is essential to cut off all plants at each hoeing. Bindweed plants missed in hoeing replenish their reserves, which delays killing time. Results will not be satisfactory if bindweed plants are left outside the hoed area because those plants will supply food to the roots for a distance of about 10 feet, preventing the killing of established bindweed in the hoed area. Herbicides Approved for Controlling Field Bindweed The following herbicides may be used for cost-share with landowners. Other products labeled and registered for use on this noxious weed in Kansas may be used in accordance with label directions but are not available for cost-share. Be sure to follow all label directions and precautions. For additional information consult the current KSU publication of "Chemical Weed Control for Field Crops, Pastures, Rangeland, and Noncropland". ?2,4-D Amine or LV Ester. Apply during active growth in spring when plant is in bud stage or in fall after 12 inches of new growth.

?Dicamba (Banvel, Clarity, Vanquish). After crop harvest, apply as spot treatment to stubble, fallow or other cropland. Apply during bindweed growth but before killing frost. Follow label directions & precautions.

?Dicamba + 2,4-D (Banvel + 2,4-D). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Glyphosate (Roundup). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Dicamba + Glyphosate (Banvel + Roundup). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Glyphosate + 2,4-D (Roundup + 2,4-D). For suppression of field bindweed, apply when the weed is actively growing and vines are 6 to

18 inches long. Allow at least 7 days after treatment before tillage. Addition of 0.5 - 1% ammonium sulfate by weight may increase performance. Follow label directions and precautions.

?Picloram (Tordon 22k). A restricted use herbicide. Follow label directions and precautions.

?Picloram + 2,4-D (Tordon 22k + 2,4-D). A restricted use herbicide. Follow label directions and precautions.

?Imazapyr (Arsenal). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Imazapic (Plateau). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Quinclorac (Paramount, Drive). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Diflufenzopyr + Dicamba (Overdrive). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Glyphosate + Diquat (QuikPro). Follow label directions and precautions.

?Imazapic + Glyphosate (Journey). Apply actively growing plants in noncropland areas. Follow label directions and precautions.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thank you Karl,

I'll try some of these. I need to dig up her perennials in this garden and isolate them, they are t he enablers. Then I can hoe & herbicide the ground for treatment to ten feet out from th e area.

I fear its main mass is under her greenhouse. Seems to emerge from that di rection.

It's a war!

Reply to
PCS

On 5/3/2013 11:08 PM, Jim Moody wrote: ...

Not counting the European peoples.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Morning Glory  they are called too?

plastic for two years.

central mass it spreads from?

 How can I get rid of it?

The dandelions have gotten a real good toe-hold up here in Ontario since pesticides were banned.

Reply to
clare