OT - "Round Up" herbicide

ld Morning Glory  they are called too?

ack plastic for two years.

have a central mass it spreads from?

ms.  How can I get rid of it?

Don't know about Roundup being useless on bindweed, maybe you have a resistant variety. The stuff I have that grows out of the gravel and up the chainlink gets stopped by Roundup for a year, kind of shrivels up after a couple of days after spraying. The Weed-B-Gone takes care of it in the lawn where it runs for yards below the top of the grass before popping up flowers. Only good for 1 year, though, sometimes less. Always comes back. Talked with a guy in a rural area that hated the stuff, started in digging to get past the roots. Was down

8' before he quit and still hadn't found bottom. You can pull the stuff by hand, if you're careful, you can sometimes get 10" to a foot of root out, it doesn't come back for quite awhile. Top it off with an herbicide squirt. It's quite common here, some places look like they're raising bindweed and not grass. One corner lot had some low evergreen shrubs it had gotten into, all they could do was grub those out, put down a soil sterilizer, resod and replant. It likes climbing, so folk's 6' chainlink fences are covered with it. The flowers are attractive, we get pink, white and half and half. Just that once it gets started, you can't get rid of it. Pieces of it will start new plants, so mowing it is more of a disaster than letting it be. If you pull the stuff, dump it on some gravel to dry so it won't reroot. The lesson is that you can control it, but not eradicate it. Vegatative cockroaches. States east of here have never heard of it. Have other persistant weeds, though.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Stanley Schaefer fired this volley in news:3c920b91- snipped-for-privacy@k6g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

If you're lucky enough to find a source of a good soil fumigant (which are controlled, now), you can reduce that 'two years under black plastic' to about a month.

The drill is to till the soil as deeply as possible, and to carefully NOT re-compact it. Then wash in a quantity of the fumigant, and tent it, sealing carefully at all edges.

Of course, that only kills what's there, and doesn't prevent future re- infestations.

The various types also kill pretty much all fungi and animalcules (including earthworms), so you'll have to re-build the organic activity in any soil you've treated.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Wild Morning Glory  they are called too?

black plastic for two years.

it have a central mass it spreads from?

eems.  How can I get rid of it?

Hi,

Bindweed is very common now here on Long Island, NY.

Didn't mean to imply Roundup won't have some effect on it. But it is locat ed in her perennial garden that is full of many types of valuable Rose, Lil ly, Butterfly Bush, Sedums, etc. So I can't just go about spraying RU every where. The bindweed loves to grow up between these enablers, and is hard t o get at the roots because of the existing growth.

I usually go out after a rain and carefully hand dig as much of the bindwe ed's white root as I can get to, but it always seems to break off before I find the end, and so will re-emerge from the broken root in short order.

I once put a coffee can of Roundup in the garden and draped the growing vin es right into it. Hope was that it would work back and kill the roots. Did not see that happen at all though. Sigh.

I think that rototilling the area would be a huge mistake with bindweed.

I now think I'll have to pot her favorite plants up and get the area cleare d of all other desirable flora. Then I'll have a playing field to attack th e bindweed on. Either with hoe & herbacides, hoping to weaken & kill the r oot system by denying it any green vine & leaf for energy production.

I'll save the two years fallow with black plastic as a last resort.

I've warned her about bringing home strays many times, but Gardeners love t o share with each other, so every time she goes and visits, she brings home another pot of trouble. Took me years to get rid of the Perrilla. Anythi ng from the mint family is trouble in my opinion.

I just thank goodness the bind weed is not in the veggies or the 100+ Dahli as she's got out back.

G'luck on you own gardens.

Reply to
PCS

I'm battling dandilions. Sprayed them with some ortho stuff, no joy. Some name brand Roundup, no joy. Does the stuff go stale after a few years? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

 Wild Morning Glory  they are called too?

y black plastic for two years.

s it have a central mass it spreads from?

seems.  How can I get rid of it?

[...]

lias she's got out back.

The b-in-l's family raised mint as a crop, maybe 60 years ago. Still has some around the edges of the field and it's been beans and corn for most of that time since. Including all the herbicides that get spritzed on, too. No bindweed there, though. Has wild cucumber instead. And deer with the munchies.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

 Wild Morning Glory  they are called too?

avy black plastic for two years.

oes it have a central mass it spreads from?

it seems.  How can I get rid of it?

[...]

ahlias she's got out back.

Wife thinks a Lavender crop in the middle-meadow might fetch a fair price.

Landscape was hit hard by Sandy. White pines are salt-burned brown. Don't know yet how they will fair. Still have a few more tons of wood chips to make out of the downed trees & limbs.

Trying to save one of her tipped-over crabapples. Pruned back hard, pulled it back up and braced. We'll see how it goes. I'm pessimistic.

See an awful lot of new deer fence going up. Nine feet high. Have no plan s for any myself... yet. Why bother? What the deer don't get, the rabbits will.

Full Shares at the Hamlet Organic Garden are now going for $7,000/year. Wai ting list for the pleasure. Local-Lady Celebrity (won't drop names) just bought an adjoining 30 acres a nd has big plans for more ag-based development. Nice to see some small ef forts to start to feed ourselves locally again.

T'care,

Reply to
PCS