OT: Roundup

This stuff is getting insanely expensive. Last gal of concentrate I got 2 years ago was $40. Now it's $100+ I was thinking of this:

I use a metering sprayer that mixes concentrate in selectable ratios. Works great. Don't want to use the premixed stuff. It seems I could mix the dry packet stuff to a concentrated ratio, then use it in my sprayer. Anybody used this product? Ideas? JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

--Don't bother; latest word is the weeds are evolving resistance to the stuff. Creationists please ignore, heh.

Reply to
steamer

We were invaded here this year by foxtails. I was off on a five week remodel, so they took hold and flourished. Had I been here, I could have blasted them with the propane torch or Roundup before they got to the flower stage. I am learning that a great time to do some HIGHLY effective weed control is in the spring when these plants are young. Some of the pre emergent herbicides are fantastic, but expensive. And RoundUp has to be used carefully around kids and pets. If you miss the window, they have rooted, and matured to a point where they are much harder to eradicate or control.

HTH

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

Interesting product, I didn't know glyphosphate came in a powder. I mix up a gallon at a time to spray the cracks in the concrete around here, which usually lasts a year or two. Been off of the same pint of 40% concentrate (1 oz per gallon) for a decade or thereabouts so far.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Ever see that movie food inc.? Kind of like when the DA doesn't show and no one seems to care. I ran into a bottle of something like total eradication of green for a concrete slab area I didn't do towards the left coast, now I'm unsure of what to do with it while surrounded by green.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Where are you shopping? Its going the other way. the chinese are selling an imitation and Monsanto has dropped the price radically. Go to any farm and fleet store or local Co-op.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Reply to
rangerssuck

SW, I read your reply a couple of times. It seems to be written in English but I imagine most people won't understand what you meant because it is phrased so obscurely. Does the second sentence mean you collided with a bottle of something in an expensive neighborhood out west that you didn't "do", and now that you're rich you don't know how to spend your money? Perhaps you could take a few minutes and explain what you meant, or perhaps someone else knows what you meant and could explain it.

Reply to
James Waldby

Sorry, ooops. I'm unpacking things, ran into (found again) this brand new bottle of weed/grass/ anything green killer.

Does sound wrong, I just assumed people would have known I moved from the desert to the great white and sometimes green north. I had bought it years ago to kill the vegetation before preparation of a concrete slab.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I bought 2.5 gal of 41% concentrate at Costco last year for $170. I don't know this years price though. Art

Reply to
Artemus

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:38:01 -0700, JR North wrote the following:

I can get 2.5 gallons of generic 18% glyphosate at the Grange CO-OP for $60.

Or I can go to Bi-Mart and pick up a quart of Green Light's COM-PLEET

41% glyphosate for $11.88 and make up to 21 gallons with it.

Roundup works a little bit better in cold climates/cold days, but in the summer, it all works just peachy. I hope Green Light stays in business forever!

Viva Generics!

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Glad I wasn't the only one totally confused.

jk

Reply to
jk

Paid $114 for 2.5 gallons of the 42% Roundup Pro a couple of months ago. Two years I paid $140 fro the same size jug. Does seem like it does not kill as well as it used to, though

Reply to
Gerry

LOL. Back when Doc patented it it was $90 a gallon. I guess the price dropped when his patent ran out, and now its finally getting back up there.

What are you using it for? I have been using Ortho Ground Clear more often lately, and rotary tilling every place I want plants to grow.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ok, that makes the thrust of the second sentence clear. But what does "Kind of like when the DA doesn't show and no one seems to care" mean?

I remembered you had moved (to Alaska iirc) but didn't connect that up with no longer needing any herbicides. The way these things work nowadays, you probably will have to pay someone to take it away!

Also, I thought you moved a goodly while ago (although getting back online only recently) ... what's this about still unpacking?

Reply to
James Waldby

Be glad you don't have to buy it by the 55 gallon drum....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Around here, at the professional ag supplies, it's about $100 for a 2-1/2 gallon bottle of the 41% concentrate WITH spreader-sticker added.

Still, that's not cheap; but a lot less than the home centers charge for the non-sticker variety. I see they offer it in a "rainproof" variety for a premium -- and all they've done is add some $0.50 worth of sticker solution to it.

They get you coming and going, though. Pondmaster is chemically identical to roundup -- same concentration, and everything. But it's LABELED for use in ponds, so it sells for more than twice the price of regular Roundup. And if the EPA-tards find you using something with the wrong label, you get fined!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

--Sooo maybe it's time he starts buying ladybugs!

Reply to
steamer