OT: S-mite?

Has any one heard of a substance called s-mite, esmite or something sounding like it? I was told that it was some type of compound that when poured into holes drilled into rock, it would cause the rock to split, sort of a chemical version of feathers and wedges.

Jake in Escondido

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

A quick web search for s-mite turned up

Jim Levie

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:09:26 -0700, Jake in Escondido vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I did some looking up on this sort of stuff. It's great in the hose low noise situations, with a nice solid rock. But it looks pretty expensive per hole, and holes a scarily close together. It would also not do the explosive job on already-shattered rock/soil. My point is that there are many areas where a really big machine / rock breaker would be needed to break up the interwoven rock. A good blast would do the job. This stuff would not IMO.

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:41:40 -0500, Jim Levie vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well _my_ quick web search brought up about a million biblical smite thees.

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:41:40 -0500, Jim Levie vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Oh yeah, and somethong about fingerprints?

Sheesh!

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:41:40 -0500, Jim Levie vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ans some of them have to be used pretty carefully (as in mixed etc) to get best reuslts, and are very slow (24-48 hours?)