OT Satelite dish questions

I have a dish network satellite it says turbo HD on it. This weekend, my to wer fell over, which had this dish on it as well as my over the air antenna .

I am not in a good location and am kind of in a valley. I have neighbors wi th large trees in the direction of the south were it needs to be pointed.

I spent all weekend trying to find a suitable location to mount it.

When I took it apart to check the lnb, I noticed it has three lnb "ports". However, whoever installed it only used one port. There is coax going from this center port to the inside of my house to the receiver. Just before the receiver there is a diplexer. It takes this single cable and turns it into two. One of the cables goes into sat 1 and one goes to sat 2 on my box. (B y the way in the other rooms of my house I can watch a different satellite than what is on at this box. (I can watch a maximum of two different shows at the same time in my house)

I guess my question is, can a person utilize all three of the lnb connectio ns and run them as three separate cables, two cables directly to the main s at box where is says now "sat 1" and "sat 2" and the third to a different b ox purchased separately? If so, I wonder if there is a separate monthly cha rge for this? Or can I buy a box on ebay and connect it directly to the thi rd LNB and watch a separate station for free?

Anyway I appreciate the help.

Reply to
stryped

[...]

=====

If I understood the installer at the neighbor's house correctly the three outputs are for LNBs at three focal points so the antenna can receive a row of satellites.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd call directTV it uses 5 sats in the sky. and is multiplexed to one cable to the box and fans out to our 4 HD TV's each can be using any channel they wish at any time. They all could record and watch. Nice software and nice control.

Sister-in-law has Dish and it doesn't do well in my opinion. Yours is likely an older model as well.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

That certainly is what this sounds like. They aim at one sat, and the other lnb is magically pointed at their other bird. In reality, DirecTV has cons olidated virtually all of their programming onto a single satellite, so the re's really no need for this setup in my experience.

Reply to
rangerssuck