OT - Selling Guns

My dad's health is failing him and he has a lot of difficulty walking with a walker, he needs surgery but the doctors don't think he'd survive because of his problems with blood clots... It's likely he will be unable to walk in the not so distant future.

Anyway, due to his loss of income and disability, he's wanting me to try to help sell some of his guns for him and naturally he'd like to get the best price he can for them. Dad was a hunter an liked hunting trips but never did much sport shooting. Most of his guns got sighted in and then only fired at the hunt to verify scope after transportation and then shot at game.

He has 4 of the America Remembers series Winchester lever action engraved

24K gold that have never been fired and not been handled much other than to look at them a couple of times. He bought these around 1994-1996 to the best of his memory, he has the certificates of authenticity. Some of the guns are a limited edition series of 300 others are a limited edition series of 500. He said he paid a couple thousand a piece for these back in the day.

I'm not 100% sure but I think these are the rifles he has, will verify later.

One Browning A-Bolt synthetic stock stainless steel 338 Winchester Magnum with scope. Only shot enough to sight it in and go on an Alaskan bear hunt. Asking $900 or make offer.

One H&R Mouser action 30-06, he used this on a moose hunt in Nova Scotia. Asking $600 or make offer.

One CVA muzzle loader, stainless or nickel? with scope, taken deer hunting locally and only shot maybe a dozen times. Asking $300

One Benelli slug gun used for Illinois deer hunting, I think it's a pump

12Ga., Synthetic all black, asking $600.

If anyone here is interested I'll give get more detail, just got this put on me tonight and I have to get ready for bed to get up and go to work in the morning. Right now I don't have the models of them and such. As I get time I'll get pictures, model numbers, and scope details, etc..

What is the best way to sell these guns and get a fair/good price for them?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I would try gunbroker.

I have a 22 Hornet Winchester gun for sale. Price is $400 cash. FOID card required.

i is failing him and he has a lot of difficulty walking with a

Reply to
Ignoramus20849

RagerN

Back when I used to move a lot of high priced photographic equipment I used a broker and gave him a commission. I did know what the stuff is worth though. Go to a few gun shows with high quality pictures. Look for similar or the same rifles for sale. You will soon find out the going price and soon find out the thieves who want to give you nothing for them.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

No. 83 of 300

No. 349 of 500

Sorry, I got this one wrong

It should be

No. 34 of 300

No. 285 of 300

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Go to a gun broker. You are taking a chance even posting it here. DO NOT DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE PUBLIC UNLESS IT IS A GOOD FRIEND, AND DO NOT HAVE ANYONE COME TO YOUR HOUSE. I'd try your closest friends to get a good price, then the gun broker.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Bob, let's say that you offer a gun for sale that is "worth" $1,000. (worth as in, can be sold for $1,000 at an auction)

And let's say, hypothetically, that I email you and offer you $100.

Does that, in your eyes, make me a thief?

Ignoramus13927

I buy and sell guns to strangers, locally and over the internet, on a regular basis. Not that big of a deal, with a little common sense. Anything shipped out of state has to go through an FFL anyway. These are hunting arms, not black rifles or AKs, or even handguns.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I know an old guy that was buying and selling guns all the time. The BATF knocked on his door and asked how two pistols that traced back to him filling out form 4473 could have found their way to being confiscated in Japan. He did not get in any trouble, but it put the fear of God in him, and he quit selling pistols. I asked about how many pistols he sold that could trace back to him, he said ~ 100. I think to really get in trouble you have to knowingly sell to a non resident of your state.

That would suggest that 1% or 2% of the private sale handguns that trace back to you could result in a knock on the door.

What does it all mean? I will sell my long guns in private sales at the gunshow sometimes, but I take my handguns to DJ Sports and sell on consignment.

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

That is correct, knowingly selling to someone ineligible to buy is illegal. You can either do zero research (Don't ask, don't tell?) or make some attempt. Most of the people I have dealt with had current Texas CHLs. If not, I request a photocopy of their DL showing Texas residence. I have also provided that when buying. So far, I have not had anyone try to buy a gun from me that I would not feel comfortable coming in my house. But I can usually screen those sorts out way before it comes to a meeting. It just has not been an issue.

Supposedly the BATF is knocking on doors here in Texas and asking to see firearms from specific 4473s. The consensus is don't let them in the house and show them nothing without a warrant.

Reply to
RBnDFW

This part and parcel with the Mexican claim that the US is the source of their firearms troubles. So BATFE is going door to door tracing "suspicious" purchases in Texas. And the fun is only starting. There's never really been a concerted effort to go after "strawman" purchases and purchasors, just attempts to entrap dealers that way.

As far as the O.P. is concerned, those commemoratives only command top dollar if absolutely new in the original box with all papers and accessories. And that's if you can find a collector of such. If they've been fired or even show handling marks, you won't get much more than blue book for them. I've been to shows where guys have had piles of the Winchester commemoratives and they didn't move. There are a couple of blue books out there for valuation, best bet is to visit some of the auction sites and see what current pricing is on the same items. And a lot depends on what area of the country you're in. In some states, you can't hardly give away a bolt action in a big game caliber, deer hunting is done with shotguns, small game with shotguns or .22s.

Stan.

Reply to
stans4

Seems like every other Model 94 Winchester made was a commemorative of some sort. The sheer number brings down the value of ll but a few.

Reply to
RBnDFW

In my opinion, for example if a woman's husband died and you were interested in buying his guns. If you told the widow that a gun worth $1000 was only worth $100 then you would be taking advantage of her and would be a thief. If you was interested in the gun and offered $100 but didn't lie claiming that's all it's worth, then it would be up to the seller to take $100 for it or hold out for a reasonable offer. I guess the bottom line is the heart, if you're getting a $1000 gun for $100 by lying and deceiving or if that is really what it's worth to you or the amount of money you can afford to offer. Many offer a fraction of what something is worth trying to get a steal by convincing the seller that it's a fair price.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I usually say "this is all I can offer".

Ignoramus13927

I usually say, "how much do you want". Sometimes I know the true value of it, and sometimes I don't. In either case, I may offer more telling them what the item is worth, or say I will research the value and get back to them.

It all depends on the situation. I have no aversion to going to a yard sale and asking how much they want for a drill press that's worth $200, and they say $25, and I say, but only if you help me load it. (I'm buying a pig in a poke, and it might need a motor etc, etc.) Sometimes it's bad karma, something they want to just get the hell off their property. Two kinds of yard sales ...... one where they want to make money and everything's retail or above ...... and one where they don't want any of this shit left at the end of the day.

I do get great deals at yard sales, but never anything like a $1,000 rifle for $100 when I know what it's worth. I have to face that guy in the mirror every day.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

my approach has been "that kind of thing might sell for $1000 to the right buyer, but not to me - to me it will sell for $100 (or whatever I'm willing to offer) - many times the seller thinks and sells it to me anyway

Reply to
Bill Noble

When someone offers me "some kind of electrical meter" (Fluke 77) for $5.00, I will come back with a $3.00 counter offer even though I would be more than happy to pay more. This actually happened about ten years back. Last year it was an "Amprobe" for $1.00 asked - when it gets down to a buck, I seldom haggle. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'm not Bob but...

You're not a thief if you make a lowball offer to a seller in general commerce. You may be insulting, but bidness is bidness.

Lowballing a widow's estate for bargains and personal gain might make you a vulture, if you care. It's legal and some might view it as smart bidness.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Do you offer the widow the benefit of your expertise re what fair value might be -- or do you hope that she has no such guidance and will be easy and profitable prey for you?

I don't want a response, Ig, I merely offer this as food for thought.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That seems fair enough. Holding out for a "right buyer" may well be beyond the seller's ability or tolerance for hassle. BTDT.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Same here. I had an email exchange like that just this week, and recommended the seller post it on a couple of forums specific to the brand he was selling, at a recommended asking price. And I also made a fair (lower) offer based on what it was worth to me.

Reply to
RBnDFW