OT-sleeping computers

It seems that you are not supposed to turn off the newer computers. My new one (Compaq, made by HP) can only be put to sleep or made to hibernate, although how to do the latter I have not discovered yet. One of the many things about it that freaks me out is, that it chooses to wake itself up in the middle of the day to do things!

The real question is, however, what is the energy consumption of these things in a sleep mode? There is nothing in the manual or the specs on line that says.

I am hardly an eco-bigot but I have a visceral dislike of anything sucking juice when it does not have to.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

None of my computers are "newer", my latest is from 2005 and runs XP Pro. Hibernation is in Power Options.

The Kill A Watt meter shows up to a couple of Watts in Sleep, zero in Hibernate, can't check it while posting. I usually Hibernate, which saves RAM to disk, and then shut off all power with an outlet strip switch.

Hibernate works well and powers up quickly. It doesn't like having USB devices unplugged while off.

The Kill A Watt P3 is quite useful, displaying true and apparent power, amps, volts and frequency which is relevant with a UPS. We discussed it in alt.energy.homepower a while ago and one poster reported that its readings matched lab equipment very well. Around here they have finally appeared in stores.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

OK, I make it about $14 a year sleeping...

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I've had XP for a few years (?). I never know about "hibernate", or I never knew how it worked. It is neat how fast it comes back (30 sec

+-), with all the apps there, to. I'm sold.

Thanks for the tip, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt