OT Snowblower quits when down to about 3/4 tank

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure drops. Anyone know any quick way to unstick things?

Reply to
Ted Samuels

Run some carb cleaner through it. Also check the fuel pick up. If it is a syphon type (coming in from the top and going to the bottom of the tank) there may be a hole in the pick up that breaks syphon when the fuel level drops below the hole. Just a thought.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I would inspect the pickup in the tank, first.

Tonk

Reply to
Tom

My first one, too, Jim. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thank you Jim and Tom

The gas line is a straight gravity feed out through the bottom of the tank. When this first started I got a fuel additive that was supposed to act as a carb cleaner and gave it a double dose to start off with. No luck yet! Wondered if there was anything that might be found in my shop that might help. Snowing like hell and all the stores are closed so carb cleaner in out of the question right now.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Samuels

Is fuel still flowing from the tank when this happens? If not, check the tank cap for clear breather hole.

Another thing does it run if you immediately top up the tank? If not it could be a time related fault like a faulty coil heating up.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

That breather hole could be the problem. Uncle's snapper had a vent with a screw for closing for whatever reason. The mower would run for a few minutes and die then start and run for a bit and die.

While troubleshooting I noticed it and opened it. End of problems.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Not really sure. Never really considered the cap vent. When she starts to stall out I can keep her running for a while in spits and jerks with the primer pump

Yep, she'll start as soon as I fill her up and run till she's down a quarter.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Samuels

After reading the other replies it sounds to me like you're getting a airlock in the fuel line. I've seen this in at least one other engine. Have you changed the fuel line routing or filter recently?

Another possibility is that there's a fuel pump in or before the carb that's not working.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

The comments about the vent made me think (DAMN! That hurts!) Try running it wih the cap off. If it continues to run, there's the problem. Better still. Try running it until it starts to falter then remove the cap and see if it returns to normal. If it turns out that the vent is NOT the problem, try taking the carb apart and using isopropyl alcohol, acetone or such as a cleaner and clean it out. While you have the carb off, try draining the tank into a glass jar and see what you get. Check for flow problems and/or dirt.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Thanks Jim It's still snowing like hell. When and if it ever let's up, (O: I'll try running with the cap loose.

Also do have some isopropyl alcohol on the back step. The wife loves using it in the wiper fluid. The smell carries right into the car. Probably would blow better then .08 after an evening's drive.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Samuels

I concur with others who surmise a clogged cap vent. BTDT.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:18:02 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ted Samuels quickly quoth:

After you run it and it stops, quickly unscrew the fuel filler cap. If there is a sucking sound, you have a plugged cap.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

a common failure is that the pinhole in the cap gets clogged - there must be a way for air to enter as the gas exits

Reply to
William Noble

For some reason, squirrels have tried to enlarge the vent holes on my blower, damned gas sniffing rodents! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

no wonder the squirrels can't remember where they burried their nuts.......

(ok, place squirrel sex joke here < > )

Reply to
William Noble

Some Snapper riding mowers are designed to stand on end for maintenance and storage.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Well that would make sense. I wondered why they had a sealable vent.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thanks ALL

I ran the damned thing last night with the cover loosened and as usual it quit at 3/4 tank.

Got up this AM, got out to get more gas. Came back, filled her up and proceeded to do my drive and the drives of 6 of my neighbours. Never hesitated once even in the heavy stuff the plow filled in. Tidied up, put the blower away. She had used a tad more than a half tank, so she's has had a change of heart. Perhaps that carb cleaner stuff kicked in and is doing it's thing ??

Thanks again, ALL!

Reply to
Ted Samuels

Think clogged vent hole in in the gas cap. How do you know the gas line pressure drops? Got a pressure gage on it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon