OT-Software to create webpage of thumbnail images

I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free software that can take a group of image files, create thumbnails of them and create an http page that will show the thumbnails and load the big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If you've got a Unix, Linux, or Mac system, I've got what you need. Examples here:

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of the script, let me know. The only dependancy it has is that you install a (free) package called "imagemagick".

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I wrote such a script for Linux, see its results on

The projects directory is a directory tree with pictures at various levels. The script traverses the directory and makes thumbnails and index files. I only type little "intro.txt" files where I add some descriptions, these are incorporated into the index HTML files.

I can share this script. It needs ImageMagick software package to make thumbnails.

Ignoramus11278

Dang, Iggy, that output looks an awful lot like the same way I solved the same problem.

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yep. Right after I posted my message, I saw your post and sat, quite amazed.

Ignoramus11278

Hi Jim, Here's my favorite, on the Mac OS: PhotoSite TimeSaviour - free and fast and you can configure it for different sizes of thumbnails and set custom background and font colors. See it here:

And if you need a website with ecommerce designed, here I am at:
We do sites for artists with small businesses.

- SzeBaiMei

Reply to
szebaimei

I think he was looking for a solution, not spam. Sheesh.

(save the indignant response. If it wasn't intended to be spam, you would have sent it to him and him alone by email).

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A friend just told me about Web album generator I downloaded it and tried it out It's pretty limited but on the other hand it is simple to use. Sounds like it would work for you. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Not quite free, but for the PC, give ACDSEE a try. It's about $50, downloadable trial version. It's bloated quite a bit over the years, but still only a 12M download.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

IrfanView does it just fine.

It even can generate a HTML file for each image so you get forward and back buttons or it can just make one simple HTML index page. To find this facility choose 'Thumbnails' from the main program's 'File' menu then in the Thumbnail window, select the files you want and choose 'Save selected thumbs as HTML file...' from the 'File' menu. LOTS of customisation options.

It can also handle most common image manipulation and viewing tasks and supports batch processing. Make sure you get the program and the plugins to add comprehensive file format support. Free for personal, educational and charitable use. otherwise currently 12$ US. Runs on all Windows 9X upwards. Reccomended.

At last I've been able to retire my horrible Pascal scripting running on HYperimage from Hyperact under Windows for Workgroups 3.11 dating back to 1995 :-)

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

You don't need software to do this.....

  1. copy each image
2.resize each image copy to, say 100X100 pixel thumbs
  1. arrange the thumbs on 1st web page to liking
  2. creat 1 web page for each full size image and place each full size image on it's page.
  3. L> I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
Reply to
JR North

According to Jim Stewart :

I can provide you one, assuming certain conditions are met:

1) It needs to be a unix system, as this is in the form of a shell script. 2) You need to have the same additional (free) tools installed for extracting information from the images, and for resizing them on the fly.

It actually provides three sizes -- the thumbnail, a reasonably sized image, and, instructions in the beginning of the web page to allow you to get the original full-sized (too large for a normal web page) image.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Forgot about irfanview. It's a good option for Win machines.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

After doing this twice for about 100 images I wrote a program to drive my then image editor and make the pages automatically. Nothing fancy, just a script in its pascal dialect. I must be thick because I did it twice by hand ;-)

IMHO the OP should try it a couple of times with a few images to get a feel for what looks good and what HTML is wanted around the IMG tags then hand the job off to IrfanView. Computers are ment to make life easier. If you have a fair number of similar parts to mill in batches changing one dimension would you crank the handles on your CNC equipped Bridgeport all week or sit down for an hour and write some G code so you'll be finished same day?

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Try processing 40 pictures per day (like I do when I sell stuff on ebay), ad you may change your opinion. Scripting solutions save incredible amount of time!

Ignoramus11278

You did not specify your operating system but if it is Windoze.

Somebody has alread suggested IRFANVIEW.

And there is also PORTA

John G

Yeah, that's a _lot_ easier than going into the directory with the images, and typing: /tools/gen.webpage ...which does all that, without any manual intervention, in seconds.

Reply to
Dave Hinz