Wood storage box: finish the inside?

Hello all,

The first of my home-grown storage boxes is taking shape, and if I am going to put any kind of finish on the inside surfaces, I should do it soon.

It looks to me as though people typically finish the outside surfaces and leave raw wood (poplar in my case) contacting the oily tooling. Is that what you recommend? I am thinking of using an oil finish on the outside.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

I'm no woodworker so take my advise with a grain of salt. Poplar is pretty soft and I'd go with a hard varathane coating of some sort to protect it from minor knocks.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Wood breathes and moves so anytime any finish is put on one side then the same finish should be put on the reverse side to combat cupping and twisting caused by moisture absorption at different rates between the two sides. Dick

Reply to
Dick

Ditto Varathane... best stuff ever invented!

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Hi Bill:

My storage boxes are made out of popular. I use SAE 30 non detergent motor oil on the outside and inside. Just rub it in.

Bill

Reply to
W RICHARDS

...and if you want a darker color, run it through a crankcase first. :^) --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

...and if you want it black, run it through a diesel crankcase.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I'm a master cabinet maker , and my advice is to finish it inside with the same type of finish you plan on using for the outside . The reason for that is to control moisture absorption . With the same type of finish in and out , the wood absorbs equally on both surfaces , and maintains balanced internal stresses . Leave a raw piece of wood on a (very) wet surface and you'll understand ...

Reply to
Snag

And for a machinist tool box, what would you personally recommend for a finish?

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Steve, Jim,

That's the real question. I would rather destroy a box I made largely for practice than do any damage to my collets. FWIW, the box that came with my starter endmill set has some kind of varnish on the outside and bare wood inside. I lean toward oil finish, but have some concerns about it or anything more modern being in contact with oily collets.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Reply to
Mike Berger

If you want traditional, go with shellac. Nothing in that that will react with metal or attract moisture. I've used Deft's Clear Wood Finish, which is a lacquer modified for brushing. You can also get it in a spray can but it takes a lot of spray to build up a good finish. It also dries quickly. I've had a case I made out of luan door skin finished with Deft for over 20 years with my Starrett combination square inside, no rust, no ill effects and the case still looks good despite some rough knocks. One thing about either of these is that surfaces can be touched up and the new finish will bond to the old with no problems, not the case with polyurethanes or some spray enamels.

Stan

Reply to
stans4