OT: source for slate?

I am building a steel table (metal content) and would like to use slate for the top (I like the texture) but I'm having trouble finding a supplier. I'm looking for something around 12" x 60", maybe a half-inch thick. It will be supported so strength isn't an issue. I don't need or want finished or polished edges. One local (Albuquerque) supplier quoted a price of $400-500, depending on color. Does this sound reasonable? I had the impression (not sure where I got it) that slate was considerably cheaper than granite or marble, so I was a little shocked at that price, but maybe I'm off base. If that price is out of line, can anyone point me to a good supplier?

Thanks. Bert

Reply to
Bert

I made a slate top coffee table years ago. Went down to the Gandy plant and bought a 24x63" snooker table slate with a small crack for about $30. Took it to a tomb stone shop and had them cut it to shape for another $20. Not a natural slate surface but a heck of a lot less than $400.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I've seen some really nice looking ones with a field of slate squares. Not the same as one piece, but really nice looking. And they also had some with different pieces of tiles. Your source may be as close as your local tile store. For the amount of pieces you have, you could probably get some killer prices on closeouts.

FYI, I paid $11/sf for the granite in my kitchen. A 5sf remnant should be very very cheap.

$500 is HIGH, HIGH, HIGH.

Just a thought.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Smooth Vermont type slate from used pool tables. People are often desperate to get rid of these. Not natural looking or rough, tho.

Lowes and Home Depot have rough-surfaced 12 x 12 slate tiles, cheap stuff, cleaved, varying thickness and quality, from India. Cheap enough you could buy a multiple of what you need and pick out the thicker ones. They can look flaky coming out of the box, but it you pick out good ones, they are quite durable (tap them with a hammer to check for soundness). I've had them immersed in a swimming pool for years, and they've held up great.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch