OT: Starting Businesses in Difficult Times

Try Seaboard Electronics in New Rochelle New York.......brrrrr...I counted 23 stripped or currently being stripped cars/trucks on the SIDE OF THE FREEWAY as I passed em from JFK to the factory.

Mid 1980s......and I couldnt carry CCW there....BRRRR

I went to lunch and a pickpocket got his hand smashed in the door to the restaurant when he fumbled his trick. Dont know how that happened...shrug

I never ever nevernever went back there. Nononono!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

New Rochelle's average household income is $199,061. The average home price is over $752,000. It's one of the most desired towns in the US, with a crime rate less than half of the average.

What you drove through to get there, in Queens and the Bronx, is the New York equivalent of Taft, California. That's why you saw the stripped cars.

What probably threw you off your feed is the lack of garbage heaps and broken-down pickups in the front yards. It doubtless looked like alien territory.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Some larger hospitals are still doing OK. The seminars they buy are touchy feely stuff about customer relations, coping skills. They also buy seminars on how to deal with regulatory requirements.

I also see a few independants serving niche markets to satisfy governmental requirements, like doing air quality surveys at businesses; nuclear medicine physicists doing the statistical work for hospital radiology departments and OP radiation centers.

I don't know if any of them are getting rich this way, but they're making a living at it.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

This website has the average household income as a lot less.

Estimated median household income in 2008: $59,359 (it was $55,513 in

2000) New Rochelle: $59,359

Read more:

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

New Rochelle is one of those places where the averages don't tell the whole story. For a few years I did some National Engineers' Week demos in the two middle schools in New Rochelle--twice at Albert Leonard (gritty) and once at Isaac Young (idyllic).

The contrast between the schools, and the kids, was pretty stark.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

This website has the average household income as a lot less.

Estimated median household income in 2008: $59,359 (it was $55,513 in

2000) New Rochelle: $59,359

Read more:

Thanks, Dan. The $199,061 figure was for the northernmost of three ZIP codes for New Rochelle. My mistake.

It's still one hell of a nice -- and an expensive -- town. My family belonged to a beach club there in the late '50s.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Estimated median household income in 2008: $59,359 (it was $55,513 in

2000) New Rochelle: $59,359 New York: $56,033

Estimated per capita income in 2008: $37,933

New Rochelle city income, earnings, and wages data

Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $607,700 (it was $299,900 in 2000) New Rochelle: $607,700 New York: $318,900

Read more:

Thats quite a difference between average income and housing costs..isnt it?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Scariest place I've been in the US during daylight was the commuter train station in New Rochelle back in the nineties. Belgrade felt safer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Mean prices in 2008: Mobile homes: $362,500.

It sure isn't Taft, is it? d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Average Median

Average household income doesn't say much about a city (or country, for that matter).

Reply to
krw

Average doesn't say much about intelligence either.

Reply to
mpm

more:

It does, but perhaps not what you elites would like it to say.

Reply to
krw

============== One place to start _Small time Operator_ by Bernard B. Kamoroff ISBN0-917510-18-6. available

Be warned that when I pointed out the following to my more reactionary and/or neocon relatives they almost blew a gasket.

(1) There is no known economic theory, ideology or business model that is optimal in all circumstances and under all conditions. What is optimal in one case may well be marginal in other cases, and counterproductive/suicidial in yet other cases.

(2) With the increasingly rapid changes in technology and social conditions, it is difficult to impossible to draw any useful conclusions from past successes other than the most general, i.e. don't try to borrow yourself rich.

(3) There has been a profound shift in economic structure and organization from an almost autarkic industrial economy to a post industrial service based global economy, and this process is not only ongoing but accelerating in that many of the intelectual/professional activities such as legal, medical, accounting engineering and programming are now being outsourced.

(4) One of the problems with high line seminars is that you must tell the customer/client what they want to hear, which in too many cases is a corporation looking for a quick cheap "fix" and not the employee(s) setting in the room taking notes.

Good luck on your efforts. You have a well done web page.

Some suggestions:

(1) Include some sort of webmail on your web page. Unless you like spam, you will need to incorporate some sort of captcha test.

(2) Consider adding a Spanish and possibly other language versions of your webpage.

(3) Examine the Keller-Williams business model [real estate] to see how independent agents can flourish in a co-operative environment.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Well, that's kind of my point -- I had things all thought out for boom times, I _think_ I have things sort of adjusted for now, but I wanted the views of others.

Except, that the _really_ high end is getting 'sourced' right back to the US of A. Most of the design engineers that I know of who have an internet presence have at least gotten inquiries from the far east.

There are numerous signs that in at least some sectors the "outsourcing" is tapering off, and not just because the 'out' end is getting saturated. The two trends that close friends of mine have seen in engineering, and that I'm starting to see cited in the press ("The Economist"), is that (a) the foreign engineers know damn well that they're in demand, and are quite successfully demanding more money, bringing the cost of using them closer to parity with using US talent, and (b) US engineers are better than Indian or Chinese engineers.

The trend that has me laughing my tail off when it doesn't have me shaking my head (or shaking in my boots) is that the corner offices are moving to India and China, too. Which on the one hand makes me want to point and laugh at those CEOs that were gleefully laying off my compatriots ten years ago, but on the other hand makes we worry about who's gonna be left to hire me.

Not that I'm entirely disagreeing with you -- just that when you do your extrapolation you can't just look at the position (bad) you're in and the speed you're going (pointing to worse) -- you also need to look at the level of acceleration (pointing to better, or at least less bad). Basically, take your own advice from (2), but as a reason not to necessarily predict gloom and doom.

The seminars are pointed at working engineers, which is part of my problem: it's not a lot of feel-good fooey for the front office, it's solid improvement for the line engineer. Ten years ago this sort of thing was an easy sell to the front offices. Today it isn't -- so I need to position myself such that I can appeal not to the corporate budget, but to the individual budget -- and still make money.

Good suggestions - I'll have to think about 'em.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It probably is a nice town, but not my idea of a great place to live. I prefer having a little distance between my house and the neighbors.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

ISTM you're in an economic dead band right now. Obamacare and such have driven up the cost of being in business and of having employees considerably, so there'll be a big drive to automate and eliminate workers.

OTOH, everyone's afraid make capital investments just now for fear of what's to come. Demand's weak because workers are afraid for their jobs. (correctly) They aren't spending, which keeps demand weak and companies from investing in increasing production.

It's a pickle.

Anyway, the lack of demand is temporary. Once demand returns, you're golden--the pressure to automate and eliminate jobs is very strong and long term.

OTOH the sharply increased costs of employing people might benefit you now--it means some outfits will need productivity increases (i.e., automation-related services) to survive. They'll have to reduce costs / workforces. Those clients could keep you busy today if you could identify them.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Move the training venues from Hotels and such to something much more like traditional brick and mortar school houses. Always consider the transportation issues, consider how to package for telepresence.

Reply to
JosephKK

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Well I was expecting that you would at least show a landing page or so. Not that you would want to see metalheads generating money for you with click-throughs, of course. :-)

I am doing something similar with

It's the first in what I expect will be a number of web sites that filter features attached to items in a particular domain.

I scrape data from various locations on the web, then reformat it in a way that I can present it to users based on the features they select.

I find this whole process quite compelling for a number of reasons. But I won't bore you with the details unless you have an interest.

DOC

Reply to
doc