OT: summertime regardless of caliber or quadrature

The water here is finally warm enough for me to find quite enjoyable and I've been hugely enjoying it. Mary joined me yesterday but not today. Got my 3 miles walked early (for me, before lunch), went swimming (floating in large innertube) when it got steamy hot later in the afternoon. Very light northerly breeze caressed me out to sea at about 50 yards per hour. I must have floated around for an hour, sort of nodding, basking like a turtle and thinkin' about this 'n that. At one point a big dragonfly landed on my hand, which was floating on the water. I started, reflexively submerged my hand. That left the dragonfly afloat, but his bottom set of wings were stuck to the water by surface tension so the top set, while creating quite a flurry, couldn't get him airborne. There's a lot of body there, one set of wings isn't enough. I watched for a minute or two, wondering if a sunfish or bass might sense the commotion and nab a snack. None did. I sculled over using submerged wrist strokes for minimum disturbance, grabbed one upper wing and flipped him airborne to get him broken free from the water. It worked, away he went, bon chance Mr. Dragonfly! I think they eat skeeters. Went fishin' after supper, since we're going back to town tomorrow for a few days. Fishin' has been very slow and continues to be, but I did pick up one nice one while flippin' docks on the south shore. Not particularly big, but a scrapper to be sure. There were some aggressive sunnies at another spot but I was bass fishin'. I can tell sunnies by the way they try to take that big bass plastic worm and can't quite get to the big bass hook -- but they sure worry the hell out of that worm! They're about as subtle as a public broadcasting fundraiser, while bass "takes" can be very subtle indeed. I'm certain I'd have caught a few sunnies if I'd tossed a baited hook with bobber but I was really after bass today. Actually, I was really after being in my little green boat on a lovely summer afternoon, going thru the motions of fishing but not sitting still bobber-watchin'. Cleaning fish wasn't on my agenda today, catch 'n release was the plan. The water temp at the surface was 81, a bit warmer than I thought. No wonder it's been so pleasant to float around in the last couple of days. It was more like 84 on the south side, probably because the light wind has been northerly, blowing warm surface water to the south side of the lake. There was enough breeze to stir up a gentle chop over there, which doesn't hurt fishin' a bit. The water isn't gin clear like in the spring, but there's no noticable algae bloom so it can't have been above 75 for long. Oh, and then when I decided to return to base, about a 2 mile run across the lake from the south, the chop condx were perfect as far as the little green boat was concerned. It does OK on flat water and in two-foot seas, but it really likes a little chop. When I got the trim set just right the engine was screaming with delight as it passed

5K RPM, (redline is 5500 but it can't quite make that with this raker prop) and the little green boat was kissing 50 mph. I still have bugspots on my front teeth. Back to town for a few days tomorrow. Anne, Hassan and Bella will arrive from London on Friday. They'll stay with brother Dave but will visit at the lake for a couple of days. Bella, 5 and proud of it, knows how to swim but has never done it other than in a pool. Mary wonders if she'll like swimming in a lake. I predict that she'll be a tadpole: kids and water. Our lake is sand bottom and a safe place for children to wade or swim. Bella has said that she'd like a ride in poppy Don's sparkleprettty green boat. So shall it be! I'll put her daddy Hassan in the driver's seat if I can.

If our American way of life is going to hell in a handbasket, summertime is a good time to enjoy what's left of it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

It was 20% humidity and 104F today while I was out pulling the top of the engine off in my pickup truck...after trying to machine a oil well pumping unit hinge pin for a local company from one of their old, larger hinge pins...bringing it down to 2.954" from 3.5", and finding out it was hardened...Rockwell 55 or better. After trying every trick in the book, and burning up 3 different inserts.. I gave up. They ordered 20" of cold rolled and it will be delivered here tommorow.

You old farts have it far far too easy. Sigh.....when will it be my turn?

Sigh......whimper........

Have fun!!

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I've got 88.4 deg and 82% humidity right now at 3:00pm, want to trade?

It's been one nasty hot and **humid** summer here this year. Can't remember when the humidity has been so high so often. Needless to say my outdoor projects haven't been progressing very well...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:i3cea3$flj$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

97 by 97 here in central Florida yesterday. But it's cooler today, 94 x
  1. I played golf once in Albuquerque at 104 and 25%, and was perfectly comfortable. At 102 and 95% in Williamsburg, Va., your "club" starts to wilt.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Same here in MN. I'm on strike again this afternoon, just sittin' in the house doing not a damn thing. Supposed to be cool dry air tomorrow.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

97F/ 36C here in central NJ, and you need a machete to cut through the humidity.

And now I have to mow the lawn and start the grill...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Crom no! Humidity kicks my ass after having lived in the desert for 35 yrs.

I went back home one July about 12 yrs ago...Grayling, Michigan, to visit the folks. I spent the next 2 weeks in the basement during the daytime. I was farking miserable...couldnt breath, couldnt sweat,....

Indeed.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It sure is hot all over. Over 73F at midafternoon here in MT, and the humidity is really high (>40% RH) since we had some rain yesterday.

Reply to
James Waldby

We don't have any lawn height rules, zoned as Ag. I don't mess with the lawn when the weather doesn't cooperate. Every couple weeks has been good enough lately ;-)

Haven't been using the gas stove either. Cook it in the microwave or fix something that doesn't need to be cooked. Good thing I like cereal, yogurt, fresh veggies...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Same system/cold front is suppose to push on through to my area too. It will be much appreciated. Problem is the nice temperate weather hasn't been lasting very long. Only a day or two, then we are back to the hot and humid stuff again for another week :(

Reply to
Leon Fisk

We have our grass-recycling pickup tomorrow, so I'd better do it now. I was hoping it would cool off a bit, but it will be 5:00 PM in nine minutes and it's still 96, so that ain't gonna happen.

I've already milked that one all I can. My family wants meat, marinated, and cooked on the grill. They're making strawberry smoothies to bribe me.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

87 here in bluefish paradise. You need to go fishing.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

If you mean at the beach, I need a new reel. I'm only equipped for jetty fishing right now, and the blues are all out in the ocean. The ocean jetties are a little far away from me for casual fishing, and if I'm anything, it's casual. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

74 F 23 C 52%

Yes, I am in love with the Bay Area.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I can't get them that low in front of the poor overworked air conditioner. At least northern New England occasionally catches a few days of Canadian air, which is far more welcome now than in midwinter.

The map on TV right now shows almost 90F in Toronto.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I bet!

Yeow!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Maybe that guy Al Gore wasn't completely off base...

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: [...]

Wha---?? You think it's humid in Grayling?? Come visit me in Indianapolis some time... or drop on down to Houston or Biloxi...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hey, I'm just thankful that global warming is all a fraud. If it was real, it might be really hot out there.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yeah! It was only 104 here today...

Reply to