OT: Surveillance camera

I have a friend who is having a problem with someone visiting his 3rd
floor balcony, shall we say without his permision. He wants to install
an inconspicuous surveillance camera to catch them in the act and find
out who it is. He thinks it's occurring after dark so he need day/
night vision or day/IR. He would prefer connecting directly to his
computer if possible and reasonably priced. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks
Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
I have the same problem; kids "visiting" my shop/barn at night. They never break into the locked areas, but pilfer odds'n'ends from the open part of the barn.
I bought a really cheap ($69) Motorola "wireless" camera, and re-rigged it for hard-wire (because the "up to 100 feet" spec on the transmitter is really good for about 15' ... duh!). It has built-in IR illuminators for full dark imaging.
I downloaded "HSSVSS Personal Security Camera" freeware, used a standard video-to-USB converter, and now have a very nice motion-detecting, record-on-motion security setup.
Since I installed it (and publically announced same), the only theives I've caught have been the deer who party in my barn every night.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Wireless webcam from Linksys.
Reply to
Dave Hinz
Hi Karl
A decent USB camera and GOTCHA
will record images in a PC only when the image changes. With GOTCHA, your computer will record an image whenever something enters to change the scene.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Martes
On 14 Feb 2007 03:56:29 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" quickly quoth:
Is $41 reasonable for a 4-channel, color, night-vision system with software which works with his computer system? ;)
- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------
Reply to
Larry Jaques
That's pretty cool... you can "scare off intruders" with a sound file. I bet that an amplified recording of an angry Rottweiler or 12-gauge pump shotgun chambering a shell would make the rest of the video a lot more entertaining. LOL David
Reply to
David Courtney
I'm a bit curious what he will do with the image once he has it.
Reply to
Don Foreman
A stakeout and a chunk of padded 2x4 hardwood. Unpadded and the coroner will wonder about the dent in his head after the three story fall.
Gunner
Political Correctness
Gunner
I should post some of the vids that I have of the cats stalking the night walk-through guards. Or the guards brunging them little treats of chicken or such. Sometimes the cats will just go crazy in front of a camera, I think they know what showmen they are.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
I have this camera with a 1 gig SD chip. Beats the self triggering trail cameras the hunters use and is very discrete. Had a relative living in my house temporarily only to discover he had drug issues. Only draw back is it does not have its own IR light source. Found a couple of IR leds from a couple of orphaned TV remotes provided enough background light to give the camera enough for facial recognition.
And yes, the relative is currently enjoying the hosipitality of the state correctional system.
Jim Vrzal Holiday, Fl.
Reply to
Mawdeeb
For IR illumination, check out the Osram "golden dragon":
Available at Digi-Key. This is the "Luxeon" of IR emitters. One of these is equivalent to a whole bunch of 5mm IR LED's.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Dweller in the cellar
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
JR North
Thanks I'll send the link to this thread to my friend. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
I have both the HF B&W ($29.99 slightly good at night) the color one is a total flop when the sun goes down - unless they changed it recently. mike
Reply to
nomail
The IR is, of course, short range on the color cam. Mine works just OK with The extenal yard lights at night. An additional IR source (cheap) would help. JR Dweller in the cellar
snipped-for-privacy@n> >
Reply to
JR North
Try "completed" auctions - $200 +-