OT-The war is lost

As a child of the 60s, a cop in the 70s, and a friend to many drug addicts in the 80s and 90s...I agree with iggy.

Some stuff, like pot..its been with us for so long that its part of the culture, despite being subrosa.

Meth, and the other stuff...can and does kill regularly simply by misuse/addiction/infection etc

Heroin is something that I worry about very little. In many aspects..it resembles pot in some of its side effects..at least while the jones lasts. And it would be damned cheap to supply to the addicts.

STP/Meth/PCP and the rest...are pyschotropics..they f*ck with the mind..and the more they use..the longer they use it..the worse they get.

Im glad to see that the 2nd Amendment is being recognized universally across America..because if they legalize PCP..a single example..people are damned well going to need their arms to defend themselves from the users.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

However..unfortunately..there is wide spread evidence that pot is pyschologically addictive.

I know far far too many potheads who have been stoners for many many years.

While most hold jobs of some sort...few of them are of any note and they tend to "float" along, day by day.

Gunner, non drinker, non doper

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Those politicians tend to be Religious Right..which in far far too many cases, leads with their religion, rather than with their Constitution.

Fortunately..they are not wide in number though can do some damage if not kept under control. There are far more Leftwing Extremist Fringe Kooks in politics and they dont even have the moderating effect of religion. And we see the damage THEY do daily.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I rather suspect that such folks would find something to keep them entertained if not pot. Part of the reason I grew out of it was its tendency to keep me floating, day by day.

I don't trust much of the science surrounding pot -- scientific progress only works in an unbiased setting. In a world where you can't do research on pot unless you get permission from people with a vested interest in keeping it illegal, the setting is extremely biased.

Pot research from people who can get approval from the DEA to do pot research is going to be as unbiased as tobacco research that's funded by tobacco companies.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Bullshit. It's still a choice. Or do you think the addiction is unbreakable?

Reply to
Doug Miller

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:29:23 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote the following:

Drinkers and dopers have addictive personalities, so they'll get hooked whether or not the dope of choice is physically addictive.

Legalize drugs to bring the cost down and reduce import, tax it so the gov't gets a little from it (but can remove entire agencies who are now spending billions to cause no change in import quantities), let the recreational druggies out of jail to save billions in our penal system, and add quick death penalties for abusers (with none of this '3 mandatory appeals' bullshit).

Rob someone for a fix, go directly to Hell. Do not pass GO, etc.

-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No govt incentive necessary, they've been doing it in Tennessee and Kentucky for decades. Pot is a bigger cash crop now than tobacco.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

"Tim Wescott" wrote

Part of the reason I grew out of it was its

The reason I grew out of it was I found something I wanted more. Wife and kids and a job that payed $28 an hour with lots of overtime. And knowing the first time I tested dirty, all of that would be gone.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I look at life as a 49/51 proposition. We are exactly where we want to be, doing exactly what we want to be doing, with whoever we want to be with. Any time the scale tips to 51, and we don't want it more than we want it, we leave. Same way with wanting something. You reach 51, and you go after what you want.

All the rest is a cop out.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

My only experience with it was when I was in hospital, going through chemotherapy. A pot derivative called Nabolin in capsules, combined with Maxorin by iv, was the only thing that controlled the nausea, and vomiting. I would not still be here without it, as my reaction to the chemo was so bad. I have no trouble whatever with medical marijuana, it works where nothing else does, and I am living proof!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Gunner Asch on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:32:15 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

At least with the Religious Right, you can share a "common language" - one with similar meanings to the words. The Religious Left, otoh, only share the same words, not the same meanings.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Very very very true!!

Well stated!!

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks for your firsthand experience. Why is it that people with no experience always have the most advice or the strictest opinions? Like people who don't have any children who say they know the best ways to raise them.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

That's because the only way to find out how little anyone knows about raising kids is to give it a whirl. I knew a _lot_ more about raising kids when my wife was pregnant with our first child than I do now, that's for sure.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

No kidding. I hate the damage that drugs do to those that are vulnerable but the damage to liberty and personal security is far worse due to the 'war' on drugs.

Property has no rights, think RICO.

No knock 3 am searches with a door battered down in a bad area of town. Homeowner resisting because he thinks it is another crazed junky looking for loot and gets killed by a body armored swat team. Wrong address. Snitch fingered you to save his butt for another day.

And the worse insult, I get piss tested every year because the government, that belives there is a right to privacy when killing a tiny baby, doesn't think I have a right to privacy when I just show up for work on time and do my job properly.

Why is it that lying to Congress is a felony and lying to the citizens is a way of getting re-elected?

By now anyone that can't handle a bit of political stuff should have marked this thread ignore. I'm getting pretty good at it but this one sticks in my craw.

Wes

Wes

They're just addicted to war, is all.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

From where do you get the idea that any human or group of humans has any authority to dictate what any other adult human may be allowed to put into, or take out of, his or her own body?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Or observe your friends and relatives raising their little darlings. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Oh, feh. The thing the reefer madness war addicts don't realize is that the people who want drugs are getting drugs. Legalizing them won't cause more people to do drugs - or are you saying you know somebody who's champing at the bit to get zonked out and take an overdose as soon as they're legalized?

Trying to stop them only results in, well, what we have today. A vast expenditure of money, and loss of life, which accomplishes nothing but increase the profitability of smugglers. Oh, and causes dead victims here and there.

And what if somebody _does_ decide to take a lethal overdose? Isn't that what the Darwin effect is for? Throw a little chlorine in the gene pool!

And don't give me "societal costs." That's a Liberal concept anyway. If somebody OD's, and there are no friends or relatives to schlep away the corpse, send it to the medical school!

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

My quesion remains, so what?

How, exactly, is it any skin off your nose if I become addicted?

If I'm an addict, what difference does it make to you?

And most importantly, how do you rationalize spending billions of taxpayer dollars to "rescue" me from a "problem" that exists only in your own mind?