OT: To Boeing union

As a machinist with 40 yrs experience, I have avoided unions like the plague.

A strike at this point seems ill-advised, EADS is taking over the 100+ seat market. Boeing has a 275 billion dollar backlog, and ya'll want to jeopardize that? The market doesn't care who makes the aircraft, just that they get an efficient plane. High fuel is the reason for the backlog. And energy will stay high, compared to previous prices. So, they will buy the aircraft, the question, from who?

Most likely Boeing will weather a strike just fine. EADS hopes you do strike.

11 percent isn't great, figuring Boeings profit. But it sure beats the alternative.
Reply to
Rick Samuel

Can't blame you too much for your position. Here's some information you might not be aware of.

Boeing machinsts have been working madatory overtime for more than 18 months. 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. They are tired. I don't think any amount of money will prevent them from walking. It doesn't appear to be about money.

Reply to
Kelly Jones

That is way too many hours. What is the problem? Can't Boeing find qualified machinists or did they (management) determine the optimum point of paying OT while providing health and retirement benefits?

Extra people come with certain fixed costs.

Wes

Wes

machinists

That is exactly the reason. In the 60's if you consistently paid out more than 20 percent overtime you had better hire on more workers. Today with all the added expenses and training required by government agencies its cheaper to pay overtime. These expenses include Unemployment insurance, medical insurance, safety training, forklift training, vacation time, sick days and a host of other things. Also the employees get accustomed to the OT pay and when they look for another job, the OT is not there. Most big companies around here are doing the same thing as Boeing as far as mandatory overtime, double time on sundays.

John

Reply to
john

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:43:43 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

But not part-timers, who don't require health bennies, etc. I'm surprised that all their OT work isn't done by PTers. At least that's how it's done in the non-union world.

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

FWIW, the union may have language in their contract that makes it a pain to bring on more help without effectively marrying them to the job. That would leave Boeing out in the cold if a downturn did hit.

Dunno, but I could sure see an overactive union coming up with a plan that says if someone turns a bolt they have to be inducted 100% into the unionized system, no temps, no part timers.

Reply to
Tim Wescott