OT: update on Mary

A few old timers might find this note of interest.

Mary's internal bleed was not from the ulcer which endoscopy revealed to be completely healed, but from an intestinal infection probably caused by antibiotics administered while she was in hospital for an extensive ablation procedure to combat atrial fibrillation. The scope they had couldn't quite reach as far as they wanted to go to better understand present condx so a longer scope is scheduled for Monday. Don't know where it's coming from. Mary is responding well to IV medication, one unit of blood and 4 of plasma, feeling better and in good spirits. Her Irish feisty wit and sense of humor are intact and operative. Still in ICU, but that may be more a matter of logistics (or hospital cashflow administration with Medicare) than of medical necessity. Whatever works. We definitely paid our freight into medicare during our working years. What with dog-sitting Stella the boxer from next door and visits with Mary, I never did get my 3 miles done today. Oh well, I can miss a day now and then. The neighbors had family company that would have over-excited Stella. Stella knows me well and is comfy with me so Janna parked her here for the afternoon. We watched "Titanic" on TV. Stella slept at my feet thru most of it. I checked to see if maybe I could have a walk while she napped. I snuck out the back door and then peeked in the family room patio door. She knew I'd bugged out on her and was up looking for me. So much for that plan.

I relate well to kids and dogs, adult humans not so much.

There's no way Stella could do a quarter mile, much less three. She's not all that old but she doesn't get out much.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks for the update, Don. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

My better half did a week in the hospital a while back. Made me realize life is no good without her next to me. I also had one heck of a time just keeping house!

Hope Mary is back on her feet soon.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don,

My thoughts and well-wishes are with you and your better half!

Lost mine last October due to mis-diagnosis. Get a second and third opinion, and to hell with the costs.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wolfgang

Keep us posted. =A0And give Mary my regards.

Sounds as if you need to take Stella for walks out to the mail box and back.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Poor Stella has a pretty bad case of hip aplasia. Can't say if that might have been avoided with more exercise when she was younger.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Roger that!

She's home tonight, back in tomorrow for another procedure as an outpatient. The symptomatic reasons for going in (discomfort, low BP, low hemoglobin) are lookin' good now but they still don't have a root cause identified. Maybe we'll learn something tomorrow. Hope what we learn isn't too dismaying.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Probably not. It tends to be genetic

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:13:25 -0500, Don Foreman wrote the following:

I thought most of that was from inbreeding in puppy factories, as in the case of German Shepherds. Those folks ought to be shot.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We have a neighbor who had his colon removed and he's on probiotics. He's relatively young and seems to be doing OK. Hope Mary does OK too.

Reply to
Denis G.

For me, kids that haven't been ruined by poor parenting, and dogs of any age.

I hope your Mary is mending well.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It is genetic so inbred dogs would have higher incidence, but it's not uncommon in the larger breeds or even mixes like shepard-lab.

Reply to
Don Foreman

So far there's no talk of any surgery. The long endoscope found nothing. Colonoscopy today also found nothing remarkable. She's home, feeling and looking much better with BP and hemoglobin back in normal ranges. They had her on meager rations for several days for her various procedures, so tomorrow I'll be taking her out for a VERY nice dinner.

Next step is the pillcam.

Don Foreman

She is, thank you Wes!

Reply to
Don Foreman

That is amazing. Learning that it is disposable is a nice touch. I'd pay the extra 100 for a new one ;)

Wes

Wes

This was way cool too!

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Wow! Just to think something like that was a science fiction movie not long ago:

Denis G.

Give me the bux and I'll swallow the experienced one with a record of good performance provided it has been well sanitized Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I may have a deal for you in a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Don Foreman