OT - Weather Stripping

One used to be able to buy, at Canadian Tire at least, a kind of stick-on weather stripping that was made of a very compressible, yet quite dense, foam rubber. I don't know exactly what it was called but it was great for filling in irregular gaps without exerting a lot of pressure on the surrounding door, window etc. It was kind of like "memory foam" i.e you compress it and it tends to spring back quite slowly.

I have used a lot of it in my house but it is beginning to deteriorate. Trouble is, I cannot find anyone who sells it now. Would anyone be familiar with this stuff and have any idea where it might be still available??

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

Unless I'm missing something, this sounds like normal weather stripping that is available in a number of widths and thicknesses at Home Depot, Lowes or other hardware stores.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

The "normal" weather stripping is unfortunately not the same stuff. What I'm referring to is somewhat like putty but not sticky and holds together like (& looks pretty much like) normal foam. It conforms very easily to whatever it is pressed into, without exerting much if any backpressure. That's what makes it so suitable for irregular surfaces. It's a lot like those "memory" foam mattresses you can buy that conform very closely to body contours. Much better than the ordinary stuff IMO.

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes