OT: Weed eater motor?

I have an old 31cc Ryobi weed eater motor I am salvaging for another project. I am trying to to get the centrifugal clutch off. The outer shell came off with a 15 Torcs driver. On looking at the internal portion (that mounted on the shaft) I am trying to determine if it is pressed on or treaded. There is no keyway and there maybe threads. I can't tell. Could one of you wise souls tell me if I need to put a puller on it or figure out how lock the crank so I can twist it off.

TIA

Jake in Escondido

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

Stuff a rope down the sparkplug hole.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

They are usually threaded and often are left hand thread.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:40:30 -0800, Jake in Escondido brought forth from the murky depths:

My Toro centrifugal clutch was put together with a light press fit. It was interesting getting it apart.

Toro had manuals online which helped with their visual parts breakdown. Does Ryobi have anything like that to help you? Try their website. Exploded views can be a real godsend.

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just make sure you don't start the thing with the clutch pads still on and the clutch housing not on. I did it was pretty scarry seeing the fragments just missed my head, and of course I wasn't wearing safety glasses. Suprising how little chucks of that stuck in the wood of my garage.

Russ Russ Wizinsky

Russ Wizinsky - ProfessorWiz

I learned that lesson when I was 15. I took the cover off the clutch on my go-cart and revved up the engine. It tossed a shoe 40' and it went through the back porch window. My did was not amused with either the safety violation or the broken window.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

It is probably threaded on, unscrew it the same diresction the engine turns when running. Stuff a short piece of rope in the spark plug hole to stop the piston. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Jeez, and I was 36 when I did that (last year).

Russ Wizinsky

Russ Wizinsky - ProfessorWiz

Thanks all,

It was threaded on. I love the rope trick 8^)

I was amazed when I started measuring things. All the threads were imperial not metric. Nice surprise. Now I gota figure out what I am going to do with this motor.

Jake in Escondido

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

When you come up with something, let me know. I've got one that I picked up at the recycling center.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Temp worker - golf course construction project. He fired up chainsaw without bar. Clutch drum walked off = loss of most of his teeth and an appreciable quantity of jaw bone. Compensation board was singularily unimpressed. Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Portable blender... portable fan... bike power....drill ... generator ... hogroast rotisserie... posthole digger ... paperweight... gardenhose winder... small lawnmower for trim work... antenna rotator... driveway edger ... miniature snowblower ... if all else fails, you could use it for a weedeater.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:27:12 -0800, Jake in Escondido brought forth from the murky depths:

They make excellent blender motors in the kitchen.

Ta!

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

Don't let the rope drop out the exhaust port or it will get cut and you will probably have to take off the muffler to fish it out.

Reply to
Offbreed

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:27:12 -0800, Jake in Escondido shouted from the rooftop:

Just remember most consumer grade two stroke power equipment engines have a planned life of 25 hours. Be careful you don't chip the chrome plating on the cylinder bore- it's the only thing betwwen the rings and the potmetal cylinder.

-Carl "An honest man doesn't need a long memory"- Jesse Ventura

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Take the muffler off and inspect the cylinder wall. Any vertical scratches - scrap it. Can't get the muffler off? - scrap it. Good shape? Way to keep it that way is using a 'high quality' synthetic oil in the fuel mix. 50:1 (reguler gas) Although the 'planned' life expectancy of the 'consumer' engines are indeed

25 hours proper care can appreciably increase this. Commercial units are designed for 200 hours. Using synthetic oil I have been able to keep string trimmers in service for *five* years or more (average estimated annual use of 200 hours) This in parks/golf course maintenance service. Most of the machines in my fleet were scrapped due to operator abuse. Regards. Ken.
Reply to
Ken Davey

Think BIG RC car, boat.

Reply to
JDABREEZE

I was about 13 when I saw my first one and could tell right off that you wouldn't want to start the engine without it put back together.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:40:35 -0600, "Ken Davey" shouted from the rooftop:

Agreed. My Komatsu Red Max leaf blower has been run on Amsoil it's entire career. I'm the third owner.

-Carl "An honest man doesn't need a long memory"- Jesse Ventura

Reply to
Carl Byrns

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I thought of a blender right away also.

Blender Blaster is made just a couple of miles from my house. I'll have to go inspect thier dumpster this weekend. ;-) Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait