OT: welcome to winter in MN

We rarely need salt for de-icing, but when we do we tend to need more than a little -- and that's usually when Depot and Menard's run out. I like the magnesium chloride stuff because it works at depressed temps and it isn't nearly as hard on either pavement or lawn. I needed some today. We had a freezing rain followed by light snow yesterday. I'd spread some salt on the driveway then that worked well enough so I could clear it today with Mr. Toro. Today I wanted some more for a few icey spots but my bucket was empty. There was a 50-lb sack of it in the shed that I bought who knows when, hauled around in my trunk until one spring day when I decided I didn't need that in the trunk any longer. I thought about the two-wheeler: not gonna work real well in the snow. I thought about driving the

4WD truck back to the shed. That'd work. Then I thought about what the cardiologist said last week: I could do more now, not likely to break any time soon, so start doin' it. He's merciless. Like that about him.

I was claiming exercise credit today for snowblowing anyway so I decided screw it: walked the 50 yards to the shed thru snow, grabbed that 50 lb sack o' salt, slung it up on my shoulder, managed to get the padlock back on the shed and marched back to the house thru the snow with my load. I should do more of this here and there, now and then. My now smoke-free lungs have depths that are clearly going unused. It's not a pleasant sensation, but not horrible either. Gasping for breath is definitely horrible, does tend to leave an impression and create an aversion to activity that results in shortness of breath most would dismiss as routine and trivial.

I think I need to take Mr. Toro in for some attentions. He didn't want to start today. That sez time for carb job and it probably is about time. I can pull the carb and take it in, perhaps I'll do that because they charge a lot for that minor R&R. Then, I think there might be an issue with whatever is between the engine and the auger and 2d stage slinger. Might be a belt that's gotta be 20 years old by now. I s'pose I should see if I can find the manual. I really don't mind paying Beisswenger's to do it if their charge would be anything like reasonable.

I had to use electric start today. That's rare. The electric starter whirred but did not engage. Well, dammit, I fixed that two weeks ago, it's just being bitchy at 4 below. I went in and got my plastic-face hammer, the one I made for fieldstripping the Ruger .22. Whacked the goldamned starter smartly just about where I thought I'd get it's attention. Pooshed the button. ROWRROWRRANGRANGRANGSPUTROOMSPUTROOMSPUTSPUT.... etc. Amazing what a lovetap can do. Like the guy said, $1 for the hammer blow, $74 for knowing just where and how hard....

Reply to
Don Foreman

Last year my 1965 Airens Sno-Throw was getting near impossible to start with the recoil starter. I had to use the 120 vac electric starter when it was cold.

Just for Ss & Gs I put in a new spark plug and presto, it starts on the second or third pull now. And, the old plug didn't really look very bad when I took it out but had prolly been in use for about 15 or 20 years.

Glad to hear your body is getting better every day, Don.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I was down with a cold / respiratory thing for a week plus. Made it into work each day, managed to snow blow when I had too but my arse was dragging big time.

The metal roof has been dumping snow on my 12 x 24 deck and I had a real mess that has accumulated. It felt so damn good to have the strength to shovel it off Sunday after over a week of barely dragging my arse from start to just over the finish line each day. Only took two hours, there was a lot of snow.

Glad to see you are recovering Don, that goldengate in your email sure threw me off on your location.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Ewww.. I hate throwing chlorides around with the snowblower. Leads to rust real quick.

I started my 10.5 hp Snow King day before yesterday. Got about 6 feet out the garage, and it died. My 'lectric start suffers from a stripped mounting hole, so I have to hold pressure on the starter to use it. Even that didn't fire it up. This engine has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull (when above ~10F anyway) so I've rarely used the electric, but even that wasn't doing it.

Anyway, I pulled the plug, cleaned it up as much as possible with a paper towel, took a swipe or two at each electrode with fine emery, and that's all it took. Fired right up on the first pull, and worked flawlessly for the next 45 minutes.

It's snowing again now, and the forecast calls for snow 6 days out of the next 7. I'm hoping those are only 1" days, and we don't have another year like last year.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I've lived both places. They both have their points.

There really is such a thing as "Minnesota Nice" and I like it. I have incredibly good neighbors both here and at the lake. Occasionally dealing with snow appeals to me more than dealing with too much traffic, too many people and too many rules every day.

I replaced two drive belts and a very toasted friction wheel in Mr. Toro the snowthrower today. The traction drive belt was in amazingly good condx but the auger drive belt was clearly shot, wasted, kaput. That belt drives both the auger and the second-stage slinger so performance is gonna purely suck if it's not doing its job. I expect Mr. Toro will now be back to shooting cold-weather snow 40 feet. Haven't gotten my hands this dirty for some time. I'm thinkin' these repairs, adjustments, and a bit of Sea Foam will restore Mr. Toro to his former vigor. We'll soon see, storm on the way. Blowin' snow is kinda fun when the machinery is workin' really well.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don,

I fired up my weatherstation data logger this morning. The current display was showing

-15.3, I thought, that had to be a data glitch so I checked the logs. -16.2F a bit earlier. Damn I'm glad I'm off work until Jan. I sure as he double hockeysticks don't want to go outside atm.

Thank goodness the wind isn't blowing and yes, I quickly ran all the faucets to make sure I'm not growing icecubes in my pipes.

Now if I was out on the deck getting a sun tan, I might start beliving this global warming bravo sierra but atm, I'm thinking maybe we have global cooling as I as taught back in the

70's. Keep burning hydrocarbons, I need the heat up here.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You left out the part about when the wind isn't blowing the snow back into your face at 30 mph.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

face at 30

That'll be tomorrow. It's presently -8.5F (-22.5C) in my back yard and not forecast to rise much tomorrow. Wind chill will be relevant because winds of 30 mph and more are expected. Tawk about winter! Hint: aim the chute so the wind doesn't blow the snow back into yer face. Doh!

Reply to
Don Foreman

global warming

back in the