OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

I have no idea. The groundhogs themselves make the audible whistling noise. It's some kind of communication among them. That's why they're sometimes called "whistle pigs."

Aha. I've only tried the whistle. I usually can get them to sit up and look.

The psychology of groundhogs is something I'll have to leave to others.

I use a kissing/smacking sound on the back of my hand to get squirrels to stop and look. Sometimes they'll start chattering when you do that. Then you have a still shot at them.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

OK, I got it. The groundhog does not want to go into the havahart trap, even though it's been 20 hours. In fact, I have not seen him since I started running the 40 lb rock tumbler in the shed.

In any case, time for more drastic measures.

Sounds good, I can whistle.

Ignoramus20428

I have heard that story before from friends that have lived here longer than I have.

My GoogleFu wasn't up to it and sadly, some hunting regulation documents that were part of grandpa's estate were disposed of a year or so ago.

I'll ask my 68 year old uncle if he recalls anything about this tomorrow when I have lunch at mom's.

I'm not willing to take a stand on this one.

About 10 years ago, I was climbing up into my maple tree to try my hand at bow hunting when I noiced there was a monster porky above me. I like that tree, it has a >

3' trunk and is a real tree compared to the pines on my property.

So I trudge back to the house ( 1120 feet), dump the bow, grab the rifle, go back out to tree. Shoot the porky, take the rifle back to the house, grab the bow, head back to the tree. Pick up the porky, he was a big one, my arm got tired carrying him out into the woods beyond my property so my dog didn't run into it. You don't carry a porky close to your body if you get my drift.

Anyway, by the time I got up in the tree, the morning was fairly wasted, and I was getting tired. I did see a couple deer. They spotted me, I coudn't get the bow up.

I wasn't about to have a bow and a rifle in the same place while deer hunting during bow season.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You might have to be patient. The trap probably smells new and alien to an animal. It may have to spend a week outdoors before it's effective. When I trapped weasels and muskrats, we buried our traps in mud for a week before using them.

Try putting a few more apple slices *outside* of the trap, but nearby.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

My adopta dad was an expert with a flame thrower and served in WWII. Mom told me he had some scary bad nightmares.

I have no problems understanding why. US Army 1943-63.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I think the sound itself is less important than not moving when you make it.

I've encountered wild animals while riding the wooded trail along the river behind the Segway plant. The beat-up old engineering machine I had borrowed wasn't quiet and I was standing upright in the open and gliding along right past the wild turkeys and deer that certainly knew I was there but didn't take me for dangerous until I moved one leg a little. Hands didn't bother them too much.

Deer stand still and watch when I'm on my tractor too.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think they need to be left out in the rain at least once. Maybe a washing with an unscented soap would help.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

See the discussion with Karl. I'm beginning to believe it was an old wive's tale. It appears to be widely believed, but I can't find any documentation for it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I support hunting and generally support trapping but if I'm on a nature or hiking trail and my dog (well if I had a dog) stepped into a trap while sticking near me, there would be a problem.

I *hope* trapping and hunting seasons don't overlap. Expecially rabbit and upland game seasons.

Wes

Wes

One of my cousins toted one of them in south pacific. He still has a severe case of "anti anything JAP". I'm almost afraid to park my Subaru in front of his house when I visit. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

I think that nowadays it is called "PTSD". I recall visiting my grandparents, he would scream, at night, on top of his lungs, "TANKS!" and that sort of thing. I can only imagine that he had some very scary moments.

Ignoramus20428

r hiking trail

me, there would

Never assume, especially in the back woods, but I *hope* someone with the ability to recognize animal trails can detect human trails too, and avoid them. We sure didn't need the publicity.

Conibear traps are set in shallow water below the mudslides muskrats make to catch one when it pokes its head through. They weren't baited or hidden, we stuck sticks in the mud on either side to funnel them in.

The larger ones for bobcats, wolverines, fishers etc are set on land and AFAIK also not hidden. I think you lean a log against a tree trunk to give them a lazy animal's access and put the baited trap part way up it.

If those things are present do you want to be strolling around?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My father did, too, until I reminded him of how thoroughly we hit them back, details that came out after the war when they only wanted to forget.

Then he remembered picking up the crew of a lone B-29 at their dispersal area and driving them back to debriefing. They weren't wounded and the plane was undamaged, but he had never seen such silent shell-shock on an air crew. He guessed that they had returned from one of the A-bomb missions.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The spruce grouse fills that niche here in northern New England. I've heard the Indians would only kill one in a pinch. Hunting spruce grouse is not allowed in ME, though I suspect that's because there wouldn't be any if it were allowed, not because of tradition. Even so, I've only seen them when hiking in remote areas. When you flush one it'll fly from cover to a low branch and watch you walk by. If they stayed put, you'd rarely notice them.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I hear they taste like a cross between a peregrine falcon and a bald eagle, with spruce flavor. Any truth to that? d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:50:58 -0500, Ignoramus20428 wrote the following:

Eye shot, mon. ;)

Here ya go:

-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In the fifties, it was generally regarded as unsportsmanlike to kill a porkie in Michigan for the reason you stated, but it wasn't illegal.

Reply to
Don Foreman

told me he had

The proper response to this is to scream "YOU'RE WELCOME!"

Reply to
Don Foreman

That may be the origin of the whole idea.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Preserve endangered species; collect the full set."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins