OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

Oh, boy, do I have a story about that. I had to forge a hook on the end of a LONG stick (actually, two 11' surf rods taped together) when that unfortunate circumstance occurred. I wrapped myself in a plastic drop cloth before getting that close. That was for my wooden box trap. If I'd caught one in the Havahart (spring-loaded door, with a latch) I think I would have just kept him in there as a pet and fed him with the surf rods...

Then there was the time I was sitting in the back yard late at night, drinking a beer, when a skunk moseyed up and laid down under my chair. I didn't see him until he was about five feet away, so I couldn't scoot. I set a new record, I'm sure, for holding my breath...

The skunks are gone from here now, for some unknown reason. But I used to tell my wife that if our town didn't have a name, we'd have to call it "Skunktown."

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It should be plenty for a brain shot with heavier pointed pellets if the twitchy critter will stay still long enough. Google "woodchuck skull", there isn't one outstanding reference to quote but you can see how little of its head contains anything important, the aim point relative to the eyes, and that a side shot is better than a frontal one for an airgun.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Catch and release laws, huh?

If you staple a brightly colored tag to its ear it will be easier to recognize next time.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

He thought it was a 'Usenet Weasel'. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'll make you a deal. I'll catch a few NJ-born and bread Raccoons and *you* can try to get that tag on their ear.

I swear the one we had at my last place was a small bear. It would take him a while to squeeze himself down the sewer at the street and he could easily look *into* standing garbage cans that were larger than those galvanized steel (on topic!) ones.

True story - one that my wife makes me feel bad about all the time... I put the garbage cans below my office at home about a year ago. The office is on the 2nd floor. When the raccoons would "visit" I would go into the office, open the window and try to scare them away. Once they got used to it, I started dropping things on them.

Folding chairs, combination locks... Basically anything I could find. They came back a few minutes later EVERY time.

...Until I bought a 25 lb. dumbell from the local sporting goods store. ...IO swear, they never showed up again and I kept that thing there by my desk until we recently moved.

I'm still amazed that a folding chair from 16+ feet up, landing squarely on a raccoon's head and back didn't chase them off for more than a few minutes. I guess our garbage was top shelf stuff!

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

They can't spray through the solid door. I tape over the latch slot from the inside anyway to keep mice and chipmunks from squeezing out. Approach behind a trash bag and drop it over the trap. If you expect a skunk you could put clear plastic over the trap.

Some burrowing animals will scoot into a dark bag or tied-off pant leg pulled over the end of the trap when you open that door.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I shot a raccoon with an air rifle once (that 1000 fps one).

He never showed up again.

Later others started coming.

Ignoramus13320

I had a Benjamin air rifle at one point... I think it was either 780 or 970 fps... That thing was fun and looked like a shotgun. However, with it's rifled barrel, it's licensed the same as a "real" gun here in NJ. I'd be more likely to get wawy with a 1/4 stick of dyno than an air rifle in my old town too... Don't ask how I know that one. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I have no choice but to ask!

Ignoramus13320

LOL. I'll have video on YouTube in a few weeks if my domicile move goes as planned. Ask me then and I'll show you proof. Let's just say it involved the only misfire of a home made cannon I ever experienced and it saved the life of a human being in the process.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Perhaps the price would seem more reasonable if you purchase it to both ruin your rodent and use to take your son to a range to target shoot.

Wes

Wes

Bright orange spray paint on the back works, too, and can be done through the trap mesh. My sister was trapping and transporting coons that wanted all of her sweet corn. Had several repeaters, those were eventually given a shot of lead instead of paint. Picked up over 30 that one year. Eventually, the b-in-law came up with an electric fence plan that took care of the large AND small critters, kept the deer out, too. Their barn cats managed to find a way in, though, and got stuck. Mostly rural states have depredation laws, if wild critters are found munching crops or livestock, they can be dealt with on the spot with whatever means is to hand.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

uin your rodent

Not a lot of what used to be called "boy's rifles" out there, all the boys have grown up and the manufacturers are going after thicker wallets now. You can still find some used bolts cheap at pawn shops and there's the Chipmunk and relatives for the younger set. Cheapest new full-size bolt .22 is either a Marlin or a Savage and runs about $150 on sale at Big 5.

For in-town use, I'd recommend one of the more potent air rifles, you can still get a good springer for under $120. That should take care of most anything up to rabbit size with proper shot placement. Ammo is a hell of a lot cheaper than .22s, too.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

A word of warning: In most places it is illegal to possess a "wild" animal. My Dad was threatened with a summons by a state cop who drove up as Dad was releasing a groundhog in a wooded park. He could have shot it legally.

Welcome to civilization.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

The same is true here, unless you get approval from the animal control officials first. All it takes is a phone call here.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I do not want to traumatize my kids, they are too impressionable. And it is illegal; for me to shoot guns in my backyard.

Ignoramus13320

Academy has a Savage semi-auto on sale now for $99.95

Reply to
RBnDFW

First nail it to the workbench.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Speaking of air rifles, a .22 cal or better would be a nice and quiet rifle.

Wes

Wes

How about intruders in your living room?

Wes

Reply to
Wes