OT: What shop use would you suggest for hundreds of Insulin syringes with no needles?

What shop use would you suggest for hundreds of Insulin syringes with no needles? The BD 50 cc syringes I use have removable needles so I pop them off after I use them to reduce the amount of 'SHARPS' to turn in. Any ideas other than for a few drops of lube or solvent? I have used them with bright orange 'Printer's ink' to seal adjustable coils on the PRC77 military radios back in the '70s.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've filled them with RTV / Silicone & mixed up expoxy for various small production run jobs.

I've got one mounted in an aluminium jig with a threaded rod driving the piston for use as a (low) pressure calibration source.

Make one of these:

Dennis

That's 50 units -- 0.5 cc.

I leave the needles on and use mine to lube the dry Oilite bearings in my furnace fan motor with South Bend spindle oil. The needle is needed to forcefully ram the oil into a tight-fitting sintered bearing You can only use them for a few days before the oil attacks the piston and makes them sticky. The same is true with Starrett Instrument Oil, so it's not just the one type that does the damage.

Otherwise, if you leave the needle on, they're good for injecting oranges with vodka for consumption at football and hockey games where they don't allow booze. We call it a "Princeton Cocktail" here. But bigger syringes are better for that.

If you're a bass fisherman, leave the needle on and use it to inject air into the tail end of nightcrawlers. It makes the tail float up, with the jig head holding the worm's head down. The bass go wild.

You can also do this with rubber worms.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I have used them like flow pens before. Also keep a couple around in the event of a blood blister or infection. Just stick the needle in and draw off the material.

Probably anything other than a pure veggie or mineral oil would cause problems.

Yup, I actually had to explain to someone who saw a catalog what a "worm blower" was and how it was used...

Reply to
Steve W.

Insulin syringes are typically 1 CC, 50 CC is about two ounces. The 50 CC ones make good water toys for kids. About enough for one good squirt.

That said, no good ideas for uses for insulin syringes. Maybe burn them in a campfire or burn barrel.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

CC, 50 CC is about two ounces. The 50 CC

Yeah the ones I use are about 15cc, quite a bit bigger.

Lucky for me I don't know how big insulin syringes are.

Reply to
Dennis

never found a use for the syringes. Now the little test strip containers are handy, great containers for anything tiny.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I recently used a bunch of those syringes to apply a bead of epoxy to the interior seams when I built a stitch & glue construction wood kayak. I even kludged up some syringe holders on long poles to reach far into the bow.

The local boat shop here is always happy to get donations of such things for the classes they run building stitch & glue boat kits. If you have anything like a wood boat builder near you, they might be interested in your extra syringes.

Another medical waste product with many shop applications is clear plastic IV tubing. I've saved yards & yards of the stuff from a recent course of home IV treatments. Usually come with nice shutoff wheel type valves that are also handy.

Reuse-repurpose-recycle. Life in the 21st century.

Good health to you.

Reply to
Paul C. Schiller

I use 6 ml syringes for dielectric grease, and for marine grease. Use those at work. Not sure you could pack some of the heavier grease in a 50 unit insulin syringe with a plastic spoon.

.

What shop use would you suggest for hundreds of Insulin syringes with no needles? The BD 50 cc syringes I use have removable needles so I pop them off after I use them to reduce the amount of 'SHARPS' to turn in. Any ideas other than for a few drops of lube or solvent? I have used them with bright orange 'Printer's ink' to seal adjustable coils on the PRC77 military radios back in the '70s.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They're excellent for spread/injecting wood glue and moly/lithium grease. (separate projects, of course ;)

Larger ones can be used for basting the bird.

With vinegar water, quiet your neighbor's dog.

Feed the fawn after you shoot Bambi's mother.

Fill with icing and decorate a cake. (fine decorations)

Recycle them to get new lawn furniture.

Grind them to use for pellets for your 3D printer.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

CC, 50 CC is about two ounces. The 50 CC

The two common sizes are 0.3 cc and 0.5 cc..

Reply to
Ed Huntress

So much for their new & improved markings. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

of a blood

I have some with silicon grease that are almost 40 years old. They sell the same size syringe with heatsink compound preloaded. I had injected alcohol into some markers that dried out before they were ever used. I just slipped the fine needle in beside the fiber tip and put 50 units into it and let it sit overnight.

blower" was and

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have a dozen empty at the moment, the rest are full of hardware. I also have hundreds of empty pill bottles to use for bulk hardware, and the hardware for something I'm repairing.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Spoon the grease into a Baggie, clip one bottom corner, slide that corner into the barrel, and squeeze in the grease like using a cake decorator. This works on open wheel bearings too. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The writing gets smaller, with every passing year.

.

So much for their new & improved markings. :(

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They doubled the amount of text in the same small space.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's attorneys, and regulation for you!

Christ>

They doubled the amount of text in the same small space.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not exactly shop use but an aquaintance donated a box of 50 unit (half mililtre) needls to my cause. Puppy has a congestion prolem and her vetrinarian came up with guifenson syrup (Robitussin decongestant or equal house brand) half millilitre up to four times daily. Ijust flex the syringe to snap off the needle and use that togive her the required dose. I re-use the syinge till it gets a bit stiff then reach for another, usually 2-3 weeks - been doing this for about twelve years. Last time I saw that vet, she congratulated on keeping Puppy alive for so long - she had pretty much given up on her. Recently SWMBO had a problem with ear wax and the doctor prescribed proxide twice daily. guess what got used, fill thesyinge and warm it under the tap. Next appointment - no more wax I use large 60 ml syringes to measure liquid laundry detergent, a lot more accurate than pouring into the poorly marked wide cups they supply - none of those 'one size fits all loads' Tide Pods for me.

Reply to
geraldrmiller