Paint/mark a surface before grinding?

I noticed a guy using a black permanent marker to mark the end surface of a drill bit before sharpening it with a Drill Doctor. I have used a marker to paint a chisel surface before sharpening the chisel. Anything wrong with it? Anything better?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

You can use anything that leaves a mark. I wouldn't use Prussian blue because of the mess, though. You just need to see where you've been and what you missed.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

when i'm grinding down or polishing glass, i use marker or even a dab of rattlecan spray paint.

Reply to
chaniarts

So one can recognize the sharp end, one supposes :-)

Reply to
John B.

Could a marker act as a lubricant, too?

Just guessing.

Reply to
John Doe

I have used a marker when sharpening with the Drill Doctor to determine when I have sharpened the full edge but not the full area behind the edge. When you have established the relief angle, whats the point of further grinding?

Reply to
grmiller

Copper

Reply to