paint or undercoating

I am taking apart my trailer to replace the wood bed. I took a wire cup brush to the metal. I wanted to coat it before putting the treated wood back on. WOuld spray undercoating or oil based rustomleum work better?

Reply to
stryped

stryped fired this volley in news:16112d9e-7b20- snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

Either would work fine, so long as you rust-prep the brushed areas first.

Use a self-priming rust converter, or clean the areas real well and use a fish oil (or equivalent) rusty metal primer. Rustoleum makes 'em in their industrial enamels line.

The major drawback to the undercoating is drying time. It will dry to the touch overnight, but not be hard enough to endure any scraping for most of a week (unless you use a two-part... but then you're into big bucks)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

So I have to use a primer? They sold a rusty metal primer.

Reply to
stryped

stryped fired this volley in news:3a1aa8f1-e9e7-4fec- snipped-for-privacy@r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Sorry I disturbed your sleep, Stryped...

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

What's that Lassie? You say that stryped fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:49:03 -0700 (PDT):

See if you can find a source for a product called POR-15. You can apply it to rusty post wire brushed metal. Very strong, very hard coating. Moisture/rust cure. It can't take UV so you might have to put a topcoat on.

Reply to
dan

Personally I'd use neither. I'd grab some POR product like Chassis Saver and use it. It will seal in any crud you don't get cleaned off and stop the rust. It is really great stuff.

Reply to
Steve W.

Someone made me aware of a product called Hammerite recently that sounds like it would suit your needs. I've never used it myself, but the comments on a message board were all favorable.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET