Paramo vises

I bought a 4" heavy duty vise in a garage sale for $5. It was made by Paramo
in UK.
I cleaned it and derusted it like someone here suggested. I found that
underneath all that grime it had been blue once. So I painted it fiery red
'cos that was the only can of paint I had.
The issue is with the jaws. They are a bit chewed up, but not badly. They
were held on by 4 1/4-20x3/4" flat head screws and not well at that. The one
jaw was OK, just needed tightening. The other two screws were completely
chewed up. I managed to re-thread one of them without problems. The other
for some reason became hard to do and when I decided to back out the die,
the head snapped clean off. My attempts to remove the residual screw shaft
from the die have so far proved unsuccessful. The little stub sticking out
just chewed up my existing vise, resisted all vise grips and even file did
not seem to want to touch it. I managed to grind it somewhat flat but even
so I cannot get it out.
I went on to spark test it and as far as I am concerned it is mild steel.
So the questions are as follows:
1) Does anyone know how to get Paramo spare jaws? I did a search and
understand that the company has gone under some time ago.
2) Are 4" jaws pretty standard dimensions, i.e. would Irwin, Wilton or such
like fit?
3) Is there any reason why the screws holding the jaws would be hardened
screws? I propose to replace the massacred one with ordinary screw.
And a final message:
I am convinced that the die mishap is simply due to the fact that the die
just became dull after the first attempt. In that it behaved like other dies
from the same set. Never ever buy tap and die sets from Canadian Tire!
Reply to
Michael Koblic
Can you simply drill and tap another hole nearby ? (with a good tap) That would be the cheapest and fastest solution. This is a vise, not an antique BMW.
Reply to
Ignoramus4323
I do not see a need to drill and tap: The threads in the vise itself are fine as far as I can determine. My concern was the choice of screw to replace the one I broke, i.e. is there a reason why a 10-cent screw should not do the job. I am only asking because of the condition the screws were in and the strange behaviour of one of the screws. To be fair, I cannot tell why the existing screws were mangled the way they were. It does not seem to be the threads in the vise.
Also, should one need to replace the jaw plates in the future, I wondered where to get a matching pair.
Since I posted this I found that Acklands carry a line of Record vises. Inferring from some of the comments I read when googling the matter Record is some sort of re-incarnation of Paramo. The picture of their vise looks exactly like mine. They also do spare sets of jaw plates for it. They might fit.
Reply to
Michael Koblic
Make new ones out of 1040, 4340 or similar steel. harden and temper to 250-300deg C. Leave the faces flat.
The screws will be 1/4"BSW, but run a 1/4"UNC bottoming tap down the holes and you won't have any problems. The screws should not be under any significant shear or tension in normal use, so relatively low-grade hardware should work.
Caveat emptor :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Actually, the threads seem to be 1/4-20 UNC, at least those screws go in with no problems. However, I came across a minor problem when trying to replace the said screw: The head is countersunk differently from a standard flat-head UNC screw. The angle is much wider. I would say >100 degrees. Thus the hardware store screws were sticking out. This was solved rapidly with an angle grinder and the vise is now fully functional, not to mention pretty!
Now to find a place to mount it...:-)
Reply to
Michael Koblic
When I found out what my Henry #3 was, it took about half a blink to assign it's predecessor, a red "tiger" chindia (chin/India) to second son's garage/shop. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
In article , "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Flat-head screws with 100-degree heads are quite common in airplanes.
The original reason was that sheet aluminum can be dimpled to fit a 100-degree countersink without danger of cracking. This was used to fasten airplane skin to the stringers within.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn