Parkerizing

Does anyone have info on the Parkerizing coating process such as used with firearms? Would it last better on tools than black oxide?

--George

Reply to
George

i just read it in a book i found. it is done with phosphoric acid, if nobody come s up with the formula email me and i will look in the book.

Reply to
Asp3211968

MAchinery's handbook has a section on Coloring metals, pages 2268-2272 in the 22nd edition. My typing isn't up to putting it all in here, nor do I have access to a scanner. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Brownells sells everything you need to do it.

It is more rust resistant than black oxide since the coating is porous and holds oil better. Also, surface prep is not as important as with oxide as it will cover shallow surface scratches. The color is variable and can be gray-green, black or dark gray depending on the solution you use.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Did a google and found this

neil

Reply to
Neil Currey

Thank you for the posts everyone. I have the Machinery Handbook - just didn't think to look in it. I'll also check the web address cited.

--George

Reply to
George