Picture of a broken crankshaft

Ha! that's pretty good.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

ng clapped-out bearings, washing all the lube & dirt out of them, holding t he inner race between thumb & index finger, spinning them up to some insane speed with an air gun & putting them down in the parking lot. They'd go so me pretty impressive distances.

This was all 40-odd (very odd) years ago, and I still have both eyes and al l fingers are intact. But yeah, it was pretty nuts, but these things did go several hundred feet before hitting the building across the street.

Reply to
rangerssuck

rangerssuck fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Even a 'little one' with a 2' flywheel can f-up a coke machine at 100' away! Saw that at a transformer factory when I worked in the design lab there. All we did all day long was 'burn in' prototypes, and characterize temperature rise and hot resistance. Some "lab".

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Way back when I was cleaning some wheel bearings from a VW Bug. I was using air to blow them out after cleaning with solvent. I decided to spin one up. I put it on my finger and spun it up a little, then a little more, and then decided to see how fast I could get it to spin. The pitch of the sound coming from the air accelerated bearing rose higher and higher. Just when it got high enough that I couldn't hear it the thing exploded. I thought my finger was broken. Pieces of bearing stuck into the sheetrock. Learned my lesson that day for sure. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Did they ever catch the perp fer littrin'?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Twist off.

I'll bet. I'd be more leery of the bearing retainer sheetmetal shredding (cleanly, or not so) taking all the muscles and ligaments off the finger as it failed.

Reply to
Larry Jaques