Picture of the Gorton 2-28 milling machine

Gorton 2-28 we put in our shop. Still to be wired.

Ignoramus6158

Ignoramus6158 fired this volley in news:ZeGdnRCI8Kz0Mx_MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ah! Now all you need to do is a CNC conversion of it!

If you need any full-custom circuitry made with low-temperature-soldering TSOP ICs, Wild Bill can help you. He's got it all figured out.

(Nice, stiff machine, that. If I had room, I could use another manual machine. This summer we build two new bays on the shop; then we'll see.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

He has the Bridgeport series 2 CNC, no need to convert the manual mill. Manual still rules for quick tasks vs. CNC.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:5182b472$0$3851 $ snipped-for-privacy@ngroups.net:

Yes, Pete... I was kidding!

But the Series-II he has doesn't have nearly the envelope of that mill. He might do well to convert it, and re-jigger the BP for manual work! Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yow, that sure looks impressive!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You will enjoy it. They are sweet machines!

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake." Malcolm Wallop former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That looks just as rigid as my Supermax. You'll LOVE it.

Now, I'd suggest you upgrade your cutting tools. I make extensive use of Sandvick R390 inserts with endmills from 1/2" to four inch. These inserts run great without coolant and make the most of a rigid machine. I've learned to make cuts so most of the chips fly back into the machine whenever possible, but a chip deflector of some type is needed because the sandvick design puts all the heat in the chip. They come off almost red hot.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanks. This one, I will keep. It uses NMTB 40 toolholders, which I had a lot in my store, so I am well stocked up.

Ignoramus6158

Yes, stuff like "insert a steel bar and take off 0.2 inches from one side"

Reply to
Ignoramus6158

It has about same envelope.

Ignoramus6158

With that mill...you can take off .50-.75 in one pass