Portable regulated CO2 system at Lowes

And it comes at pressures much higher than a paintball CO2 tank is safe with.

CO2 at room temperature is in the 850 psi range, though it can get way higher on an overfilled tank.

Paintball High Pressure Air tankks (HPA) are a whole different kettle of fish, both in pressure capacity and price as well. Both are much higher than for CO2 tanks. HPA tanks will happily take a 4500 psi fill, if you bought the good ones. CO2 tank burst disks are rated at 3000 psi.

Filling a CO2 tank to it's rated pressure with air would get you about the same number of shots (nails, staples) as you would get from a CO2 fill without any liguid CO2. Not really worth the effort if you have to run to the fill station more times than you have to reload the nailer.

By the time the CO2 has travelled through the reg and hoses, (where the reg limits pressure to 100 psi or so) you can be pretty sure that liquid CO2 is not an issue. Hoses would blow if the liquid got that far. At least the ones between the reg and the tool, wher e you can bet they are not selling you a 3000 psi rated hose to feed a 100 psi rated nailer or stapler.

So. Air from the Scuba shop is about second in the list of bad ideas, right after using pure oxygen. :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

That would be kind of dumb. As well as self limiting.

Read the instructions on the reg.

Misuse it at your own peril.

And wanna bet there is like to be a flow rate fuse or restrictor plate in the system to limit the CFM draw?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

That's kinda a neat little set-up!

A friend of mine had two draft taps on the front of his fridge. He dissected a soda fountain dispenser to get the hardware, and ran the tank and reg right beside the fridge. Soda kegs hold pretty close to the amount of brew you get from a U-brew kit. :-)

I have been looking at making a paintball tank adapter for my MIG welder. 20 oz of CO2 at the local supplier is about $10, and a fill for a baby bottle from the welding supply place is around $50, last I checked. For the amount of use I get out of the welder, it makes more sense to use what is cheap and available, even at a slightly higher cost for the consumables, I don't have the need for a large enough tank to get the prices down.

When I was checking, I could buy CO2 for a bit over a buck a pound, to fill a 20 pound tank. Most of the paintball places were charging 50 cents an ounce or a bit more to fill tanks. No one ever starved to death buying low and selling high. That's retail.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

This is a myth.

"Industrial" grades are actually *cleaner* than beverage grade. Welding processes cannot tolerate contamination.

CO2 tanks deliver vapor over liquid, which purifies further by distillation and purging.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It will certainly spit CO2 liquid eventually if heat is not supplied to make up the heat of vaporization.

Let's hope so, rather than some metal tool.

Is there some other type of overpressure relief on the low side of the regulator? Because if the regulator fails open, you're gonna get 1000 psi into your hoses.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I wondered if anyone was going to suggest the do it yourself route. Here is a link for just that purpose if you're a DIY type.

And I copied and saved some comments (I think from an old thread) about installing the regulator;

"For me, this was quite an educational process, I didn't understand that there was any difference between a primary and secondary regulator. I thought one was just down stream of the other. I didn't realize they were rated for different pressures.

As the gas is going directly into the regulator, it must be rated high enough to handle the pressure. The typical secondary regulator is only rated for 100-250 psi max. CO2 tanks put out 800+psi. The damned thing could have blown on me.

The next thing is right-hand or left-hand threads. Virtually all paintball equipment is right-hand thread. It looks as though primary regulators are mixed between RH and LH.

So, you want a regulator rated for well in excess of 800 psi (the one mentioned above is rated for 3,000 psi) and that has right-handed threads. The only thing this one seems to be missing is a check valve, which are easily accessible and installed. Beer here, Mike. After looking around on their site some more, in the replacement gauge

it has a RH high pressure gauge listed for Norgren and Chudnow brands (the one I ordered was a Norgren) and LH for Micromatic, TapRite, NADS, and Cornelius brands. I saw that part of the site, and I almost ordered the same regulator, but if you could confirm that the part where the HP nipple, which goes to the CO2 tank, is indeed right-handed, when you receive the regulator, then I would appreciate it. Well, I got it today and the threads are indeed right handed. I had no problem removing the tank connector and installing the paintball tank setup.
Now I just need to get the tank filled to try it. Also there was a thread about the regulator a while back. The regulator I used was the economy regulator for $20 at:
Good luck Mark R

Reply to
Mark R

Seems to include the tank.

How many CF does it store? How much does a refill cost?

Those are both kinda important.

Reply to
Toller