Price of copper and aluminum

Spot market for copper is down 37% from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down 29%.

Wonder how long before we'll see it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If you have to sell your mtual fund shares to buy aluminum, you would not be able to buy more than before...

Reply to
Ignoramus13707

What is the current price for copper? I found a 335ft roll of 7 strand awg 6 bare while cleaning the garage that my brother the electrican can use. He offered me 1.5x scrap. I think I bought it years ago for an antenna ground plane I never dug my yard up to install.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

1.5x scrap. I

to install.

Don't know. Spot is $2.52/lb Scrap seems to be what the market will bear in your neighborhood.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

awg 6 bare while

me 1.5x scrap. =A0I

rd up to install.

You could probably sell it to him of what half of new whosale would be, and it would be better for you than scrap price, and he's still getting a bargain.

Reply to
Tim

I got suckered into doing a job for the church/school some of my kids are going to. They are converting the sanctuary into a gym during the school week, so they need to protect the 5 stained glass windows. I bought the local non-ferrous dealer out of 1 x 1 7/8 x 1/8" wall rectangular tubing. (That is 1" x 1.875" exterior dimension, if the fractions are confusing.) Anyway, the stuff was $2 a foot! I was rather surprised, I quoted it online a while ago and it was something more like $6 a foot plus shipping. I don't know the exact weight, but it is something around .75 Lbs/foot, so that's about $2.67 a pound.

We will make frames by welding the aluminum into a square frame, and mount two to each window frame with hinges. Then, they will get some sound insulating board attached to them, to both stop balls and people during the week, and act as sound absorbers during the services.

I finally get to do a serious aluminum project on my TIG welder, so we'll see how good I am.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jim: Do you have any reccomendations for a source for spot prices of metals?

Hul

Jim Stewart wrote:

6 bare while
1.5x scrap. I

up to install.

Reply to
dbr

For scrap prices, check here;

Click on the appropriate tabs and locate the current prices

Around here (big city, lots of competition) I expect to get about 75%-80% of the LTL price for clean, well sorted scrap in small quantity (>20lb, > be what the market will bear in your neighborhood.

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

etc.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I bought 170lbs of 10ga THHN today

$670 including tax

Fuck me running

I thought copper was going down?

Reply to
Gunner

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:34:57 -0700, the infamous Gunner scrawled the following:

I sure hope your bids include flexible supplies costs, X + mat'ls.

Drywall screws a couple months ago were $2.19/lb., deck screws $15.99 for 5#. Yesterday, drywall screws were $3.99/lb,, deck screws $8.09 a pound. We need to buy large butt plugs so it won't hurt as much the next time we buy something, huh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They need the extra money to buy the replacement inventory at a lower cost. Wait a minute.... (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Hul

Richard J K> > Do you have any reccomendations for a source for spot prices of > > metals?

Reply to
dbr

The big post-bubble deflation has begun. So big even the Fed can't inflate our way out of it. They've fired all their big guns now, and the market collapse continues. They laughed when oil was $140 and I said it would soon be back to $70.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch