propane/air vs propane/oxygen?

No, there is a point at which all the propane is burned. It's called the stochiometric (sp) ratio. Adding propane beyond that point will result in a rich mixture and a cooler flame. Too little propane and the flame goes out.

In a gasoline engine, the stochiometric ratio works out to 14.7 parts oxygen (NOT AIR) to one part fuel.

Air is 21% oxygen. Oxygen is 100% oxygen. More O2 means more fuel can be burned and more heat can be generated.

Now do you get it?

I don't know how you derived that. Air is air- a mix of 21% oxygen and

78% nitrogen (and some trace gases). When air is mixed with a fuel and burned, more than the O2 is consumed- depending on the fuel and combustion temp, the end gases may include carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and various nitrogen oxides. The torch can't magically seperate the O2 out.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Gee Carl, hormones out of balance? Does someone have to be lacking in dignity, pride, etc. to ask a question? I would think that someone proceeding with a possible lack of information would be lacking in the above mentioned traits. I kinda thought we, most of us, gathered here to help one another as we could, and get help when needed. Not just to be smartasses, though most of us can do that well, too.

michael

knower of lots about some things, and knower of little of many things, and fairly ignorant on many subjects and a real smartaass on the spur of the moment

Reply to
michael

Just tweaking Grant a bit. See my post "Jan 11, 9:15 PM" . The "lacking in dignity, pride, etc." was lifted from Grants' somewhat rude reply.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

could you just say that the nitrogen in air cools the flame? --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Jan 11? Hmmm, interesting, it's Jan 8 today.

Are you seriously saying that you are still upset about a post of at least almost a year ago? Maybe time to grow up? :-)

Abrasha

Abrasha

Oops. Will get foot out of my mouth now.

Abrasha

Abrasha

LOL! :-P

Tim