Protect copper shine from tarnish?

I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing. I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill B

1) Wax needs to be re-applied from time to time depending on exposure. Paste wax is good as is home-made mixture of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine. 2) Some people use combo of paste wax and linseed oil even for outdoors. 3) Try Penetrol - it is good on steel, I have not tried it on copper. 4) Finally, consider Future Floor finish (acrylic). The times I tried it on metals it is invisible and rather durable, although I do not have a long term experience yet.
Reply to
Michael Koblic

There's a product for this but I don't remember what it's called. I think it bakes on. Google for it. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Dow Corning makes a bake-on silicone varnish intended to protect copper, brass, and bronze objects that are exposed to the elements. The main market is lock and door hardware, but it may also be used for statues.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Lacquer. Mohawk sell a specific Lacquer for Brass, which I've found sticks and wears well, flows wonderfully. Some things called lacquer are NOT.... Deft or Delft comes to mind - smells awful, dries slowly and cannot be removed - maybe this is a good thing for some.... /mark

Reply to
Mark F

Use CAR wax. It lasts longer and is uv protecting (itself). Car wax is great in traffic areas that the normal floor wax gets consumed to fast.

Martin

Mart>> I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.

Martin H. Eastburn

That's the one I was thinking of.

Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Musical instruments use lacquer cut 50% with alcohol IIRC. Flow much better.

Reply to
RB

Microcrystalline wax, used for museum preservation, some woodworking outfits have it. That's for objects not being handled much. There are lacquers specifically meant for brasswork, again some woodworking suppliers have it. Think brass musical instrument finish in a spray can.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I think that it's Dow Corning 1-2577 Conformal Coating. I got a sample of this in 1981, and may be misremembering. I would call Dow Corning and ask.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

News==----

#1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

I used some "Mothers California Gold" car wax with Carnauba. Seems to work and the copper surface shows no sign of oxidation in 3 days. Time will tell.

Another surface has a glossy picture glued on and I'm wondering if some of the same wax would help preserve that. I tried some of the wax on another photograph, and it seemed to improve the shine somewhat, but hard to tell.

Is it a good idea to use car wax on shiny photographs?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill B

That's the time period I heard about it. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk