Telescopic track for hoist?

Hi Folks,

I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of the side opening of a van. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on such a contraption or advice on how to accomplish this feat. I need to keep as much headroom as possible so I have approximately 4 inches in height to work with. Maximum weight capacity would be 400 lbs. I also need to be able to extend the end of the track out of the van roughly 36" to 42". The trolley for the hoist will need to travel the entire length of the track or rather from the drivers side clear out the passenger side door.

So far I figure I either need to use nesting tube steel/aluminum with a "C" cross section in order to have a trolley inside the inner tube, the outer tube mounted to the van. Or I need to hang a trolley on an "I" beam that is hanging from another "I" beam.

Any other ideas or specs on wall thickness, tube size, beam size would be most welcome.

Thanks!

croq

Installation is fairly easy as long as you can find or make a strong attachment point.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You can nest (telescope) two pieces of square tubing, as is done in, for example, a Harbor Freight "shop crane" aka "engine hoist". Drill some holes for a holding pin. Add a wider flat on the bottom of both parts so that you can have a trolley. In the case of those flats, obviously, you would need to remove and insert the thinner tube with every use, instead of telescoping.

In most cases, a winch and a set of ramps would work well also.

Ignoramus6985

"croq" wrote: I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You will also need a vertical support outside the van--otherwise, the weight will make the van lean to that side. Such a support could be hinged to the end of the track, or simply placed by hand each time the crane is used. It could be as simple as a 2 x 4 and a scissor jack. It will also allow you to use a lighter beam for the track, since you won't be using a cantilever.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

IIRC there are some drawer slides that can handle heavy loads

nick hull

ATM removal tool?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You mean one of these?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I need to avoid a possible drop hazard so it must remain a unit. The addition of a flat may come in handy as far as support for the cantilevered piece.

Thanks C

Reply to
croq

Thanks Leo, I can not have a support leg outside the van. I can imagine a little lean but nothing unsafe for a full size GMC Savannah or Ford E350.

400 pounds is the outside maximum capacity this will ever see and odds are it will never be over 200.

Thanks again

croq

Thanks Nick I'll check into those.

croq

Had not thought of alternative uses at this point Bob however I like the idea. ;) Actually this device will be used to transfer my wheelchair bound sister. Ironically, she can not travel in the wheelchair.

croq

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:15:04 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "croq" quickly quoth:

I can hear your sister now..."What's all this grease on the floor and greasy fingerprints all over my lift, hmmm?"

See

for their #9301 slides. You'll likely need some sort of damper for them, either air or hydraulic, for safety. They're $160-$350 a pair, depending on size and where you buy them. Shop around.

Will you be transferring her to a mobile bed in the van, or regular vehicular seats?

-- Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable. -- John Patrick

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey Larry, Unless I can find a safe way of strapping her into a bed we'll be transferring to an upgraded automotive reclining seat.

croq

"croq" wrote: (clip) I can imagine a

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I wasn't thinking of safety. I was thinking of a way to make the construction lighter. But, you also need to consider that whatever lean there is will make your extended track slope. You will have to plan on that when you are moving your sister in her wheelchair into and out of the van. (Not being critical--trying to be helpful.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Thanks Leo,

I appreciate the help! I have to admit I knew I would have to watch where I parked because of the tilt on the beam but it did not occur to me her weight could cause the same problem. Tis why I like this group, all the holes in an idea are soon found. As Larry had pointed out a damper would be necessary, I thought a power extend/retract feature would be a great option. After caring for her for 35 years I'm getting a little old and slow to keep throwing my body between her and whatever harm is waiting to surprise us. I need to start doing that work smarter verses harder idea I keep reading about.

croq

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:40:07 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "croq" quickly quoth:

Yes, power movement is a great idea. It would overcome any tilt problem, allowing you to pick her up from any angle.

Have you figured out a 4-point people-harness for her? You could set it open in her wheelchair and drop her on it, then use it to lift her into and out of the vehicle as needed. One other potential problem is between a homemade medical lift and your insurance company.

Definitely. It could save you an injury which would prevent you from being able to care for her, too. You sound like much too good a sibling to want that.

Which automotive seat will you be using?

BTW, please keep us informed. This is an interesting thread!

-- Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable. -- John Patrick

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course designing a better harness and lift would be my goal, understandably I'd have a hard time getting the engineers in here to put their seal on a people lifter. So with that knowledge I have been looking at the Liko portable lift.

They already have slings and as you point out she could remain sitting on the sling while driving.

Thanks, this is what I am after but with the abuse I have subjected my back too already, lifting 130 lbs ten to twenty times a day for the last few decades, it's getting more and more difficult to get the vertebrae excited about the day.

This is still open. I have done percursory searches to see what is available. She can not communicate so I have to go with what I assume would be the most comfortable, PLUSH. This is not a supplier but a decent example

Nice side and decent lumbar support that reclines and possibly has a foot rest. Another example
We take for granted the ability to fidget while we are driving but she is stuck until someone moves her or her legs. Obviously reclining would be the best help so as to move the pressure areas around a little quicker preventing a stop every 15-20 minutes to slide her hips around. I'll tell you, a 100 mile trip is a major excursion for us.

Will do, cost is my only constraint. The plan is to aquire the van first then add the high top conversion if it does not already have one. Next would be the lift. The local dealer priced it at $2800 however I have yet to find any special needs equipment dealer that has even seen this style of lift in person. I may be able to find a dealer that would sell at cost just to see it work(at least it works that way in my dreams). Some carpet, some baling wire, a few stitches and I'll have a $25,000 conversion van for $35,000. ;)

Isn't that the reason to do it yourself? It will cost more but in smaller increments so you don't notice it. hehehe

Thanks for ALL the help, it is much appreciated!

croq

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:06:52 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "croq" quickly quoth:

While _driving_? With the hoist in the back of the van, I had imagined her to be the passenger. To hoist her into the driver's seat, ah reckon you need a whole 'nother pivoting/rolling setup.

Draw us perspective diagrams with measurements, eh?

I hear that. I help lift a 93 y/o man into his Bronco once or twice a month for doctor and bank visits. He's 230 lbs and weakens by the day. I have to be very careful to keep the load close or I'll screw my own back up again. Most of my problems are in the upper thoracic area (T3, top of the shoulder blades, guys) so I have no possibility of lifting at an extension at all any more. But I can lift 200 lbs at my body.

I was cleaning my mechanic's rolling toolbox one day (about 35 years ago) when I removed the bottom drawer. I thought it might be 100 lbs and it turned out to be closer to 200. As soon as it came loose from the drawer slides, it took me to the ground with it. I heard a vertebra pop and knew something had given from the weight. Luckily, I recovered from that after taking it easy for a week and it has never botherd me at all. I'm thankful for that.

From what you said above, I thought she would be driving. I'm sure confused.

Yeah, call around and get pricing for all those med devices. There has to be thousands of dollars of wiggle room there. I think my sister still has an older Dodge wheelchair van for sale. It needs a transmission rebuild. She bought it from a guy "cheap" and was going to resell it "high" when the transmichigan popped.

Yeah, we've all had those expensive DIY projects, but the kicker is that we get to KEEP ALL THE TOOLS when we're done. It doesn't get any better than that. ;)

De nada.

-- Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable. -- John Patrick

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote: (clip) While _driving_? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is a little glitch in Croq's grammar--I'm SURE he meant "while I'm driving." However, if you were trying to be funny, look for a less sensitive subject.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Sorry, as Leo pointed out, my grammar sucks(my opinion). I did mean while I'm driving. I should not post at 4am.

As soon as I get Google Sketch figured out.

Have you tried using a Gait belt on the man? It gives you better handle and may allow you to keep everything closer to your body.

croq