Testors spray worth the $2.89 a can? What is the best spray can, TIA

I would like to know what is the best spray for finishing a plastic model car kit. I would like it red and to shine like hell. What have you all been using and found works best for that shiny glossy finish on a plastic car model. Should I use an enamel spray gloss over the base coat?

TIA Greg

Reply to
Greg & Anne Earnest

Tamiya paints from the can are excellent, but they tend to be very thin so light coats are best. When high shine is needed, I use rubbing compound/carnuaba wax car polish to polish the paint job after it's cured. Always test on scrap first before using on model of course to make sure the compound doesn't take off the entire topcoat like a solvent. There are also polishing kits specifically for plastic models, but I've never used them. Micro Mark sells them I think.

I like Testors from the can, too, but more for the flats than the glosses. Also, I don't think there's much paint in them. I painted my Star Wars Trade Federation Tank (about the size of a 1/35th Tiger I give or take) using Testors Armor Sand, and discovered I had used almost all the can after only one light dust coat and a medium coat. Brand new can, no drips, no runs, no detail obliterated, but there just wasn't much paint in the can.

Reply to
Steve

check out the last FSM fine scale modeler magazines article on great paint jobs from a can

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

Testors is Ok, Tamiya I've heard is very good, and I use Duplicolor automotive touchup paint. If you use a good automotive primer (I use the same brand thoughout) using light coats and sand the primer with a fine sand paper, then spray light coats of color you can get some very nice paint jobs. Duplicolor paints are lacquer so they dry fast and are a bit harder than enamels so polish out a little better. You may want to experiment and see what works best for you. HTH Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759