Testors Paint

I once heard that you can mix baby powder with gloss paint to make it flat. Is this true? I cannot locate a flat paint in the color that I am using and it looks horrible glossy on the B-17 I am building.

Reply to
ronl

Testors also has a version of acrylic dullcoat in the bottle. I use this when I find surface paint to be too shiny. Model Master Acryl FM02015 Flat Clear.

I've heard of the Japanese modelers using something called "flat base" but I've never seen it myself.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

Overspray it with a clear flat.

Testors makes a clear flat in both a bottle and a spray can but I'd suppose just about any manufacturer's clear flat would work.

Using the clear flat -after- the decals have been applied and are throughly dry works the best. Decals "snug down" better and leave less of a decal film if they are applied over a glossy surface anyway. And the finish ends up uniform - you don't get glossy decals over a flat surface.

I rather routinely shot my models with a gloss coat before applying the decals when flat paints were used for just that reason. Later a flat/matte/semigloss final coat (depending on the effect I was seeking) could be sprayed on after the decaling was finished.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

But Future the glazing first! Testors Clear Flat will fog all the clear plastic if it's untreated.

Reply to
The Old Man

Talcum powder can be used to flatten gloss paint, but a clear flat overcoat applied at the very end of painting and decaling is better, since decals only adhere properly to a glossy finish. And you're better off masking the clear parts entirely before spraying any clear flat finish, as it will fog them up permanently otherwise.

Reply to
Gerald Owens

gotta ask what color you are going to paint your fortress, usually they are green or bare metal ???

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Just like others have said; 'gloss under decals then matte.' Easy way not to worry about which flat to use, a mixture of Future and Tamiya flat base will give a very dead flat clear finish. I have used a ratio up to 50-50 but some say they get away with using less Future.

HTH

Reply to
chuck ryan

Reply to