Pulling the head on an Onan DJC Generator

I have been debugging an Onan DJC, 4 cylinder 12KW, air cooled diesel generator. In chasing down a rough running engine when cold I just heard the unmistakable hiss of a leaking exhaust valve.

I have not torn into it yet to pull the head and do valves or even to check clearances yet. I have to do that. Anyone out there with some experience on these engines? Are there any tricks or suprises to watch for.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
rleonard

I have an Onan DJE

and never pulled its head, so my experiences are not very relevant to you, but I have a couple of simple suggestions.

  1. Buy a repair manual for your generator, check out ebay seller n2gravely, he has one, and he is a good guy.
  2. Subscribe to
    there is plenty of people there tho know the insides of these J series diesels very well.
Ignoramus27829