Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

And you sure as HELL don't use any sort of metallic wire for baling up straw, or oat hay, or alfalfa, or timothy hay, or anything else that might be feed or bedding for any animal - one little snipped off piece of wire accidentally gets inside said animal and you can easily have a sick or dead animal, and/or a huge veterinarian bill for saving or trying to save them.

Hay farmers use sisal or synthetic twine to tie up their bales, and have done so for many decades. You would do well to remember this.

When I do any electrical work in a barn or animal pasture setting I have to be almost paranoid-level careful to not drop or leave any wire cuttings lying around, and make sure the other workers don't either, and they know why - copper wire can do it just as easily as steel.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

you americans use rope fences!?

dont the cows eat them?

Stealth :-) Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

Not once you turn the charger on. ;) --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

It has been many decades since I was opening bales of hay. At the time the bales all were secured with wire. But you did not snip the wire. You unwound it by hand.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Correct. And it was much harder on arrows, if you stacked some for a target butt.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

We used to feed magnets to cattle to grab any hardware they might accidentally swallow and keep it in the gut instead of having it "migrate"

And yet in the early years, balers for hay and straw DID use wire. Believe it or not.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Yea, Only these youngsters wouldn't know about baling wire. It dosen't seem to be that long ago, course theres lots of those things now. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

What the _hell_'s all the fuss about? My sister in TX _still_ gets wire-tied bales. You just pay attention to how you open them is all. You can cut them. You just make sure the tied ends are both there when you pick up the wire.

It's better to unwind the ties, but it's not God-given law. If a gal doesn't have the strength to unwrap them with pliers, she cuts the wires close to the ties and makes sure not to drop any cutoffs.

And, yeah, they sure can wreak havoc on arrows especially if you're doing live practice with your broadheads. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

Lew Hartswick" wrote: Yea, Only these youngsters wouldn't know about baling wire. It dosen't

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I believe it, kuz I remember it. On the small farm where I grew up we hoarded used rusty nails and bailing wire. Bailing wire was folded upon itself to make a bundle about 8" long, tie wrapped around itself, and tossed where it could be easily found when needed. It was the duct tape of its day.

I have a galvanized sprinkler can from those days that I am saving as a keepsake, on which the sprinkler head is retained with bailing wire. I think it's stronger than new. My Dad once helped me install a Model T Ford switch on the handle bar of my tricycle with bailing wire. I don't think duct tape would have held as well.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Leo Lichtman" wrote: (clip) the sprinkler head is retained with bailing wire. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ My face is red. I teased Stealth Pilot for misspelling "bailing," and now I have done exactly the same thing. I figure it's better to own up before someone else jumps on me.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It's sure easy to do with some words. I have trouble with hoby hobby rabit rabbit rabet etc. Never did well at spelling, keep a dictionary or two in the drawer (just looked that one up since it didn't look right) under the monitor. Typos where the letter is close to the one required I can overlook but when it's the wrong word like: their for there it irks me. Afterall I only simulate touch typing. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Jan 11, 6:22 am, "SteveB" wrote:

When I restored my '51 International pickup, it was with the idea that I would drive it to work. Every day. Winter and summer. Salt on the roads, too. I can't afford a show truck, so I didn't get really fancy and spend a lot of money on this thing. But it looks good and some guys wonder about the dumb twit who drives his truck in the cold and snow and salt. Younger guys, mostly. The old farmers, geezers who recognize that truck and maybe leaned to drive in one like it, understand. They like to see it scooting along every day, doing what it's supposed to do. They also like the wavy box bed that I left as is, caused by some previous owner hauling gravel or grain, lots of weight, so that it pressed the steel down between the box's crossmembers. The first scratch hurt, of course, but it hurt me more than the truck. Might as well get it overwith. Gonna happen sooner or later, and I'll worry about it until it happens. Adds some character to the thing. I guess it's a Bubba truck. A friend here had a Dodge pickup, maybe six months old. Sees a deer coming toward the road, so he grabs the rifle (.308?) and sights in on the animal, resting an elbow on the hood, as it approached the road. The field angles down into the ditch and he follows the beast with the scope, and shoots. Bangrattlerattle. Bullet goes through the hood and clatters around under there but doesn't do too much beyond uglifying the truck. He told everybody his truck was shot.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

I use the "biblical" method, left handed as well - "seek and ye shall find" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

the thread has been as funny as a hat full.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot