Pyrotechnics are not very accurate -- as a rule (metal is here)

When filming an effect where a drunk shoots a roman candle into a tree and catches the tree afire, we had to hit the target spot (where the propane flame rig was set) exactly, in as few takes as possible. I didn't want to spend four hours shooting a scene that should take fifteen minutes, so I "wasted" the four hours in the machine shop, instead, and got a tool I could keep for other such purposes.

This precision comet gun allowed us to hit a 12" diameter target area from

30 feet away with perfect repeatability. We hit it on all five takes, and the director was able to select the take on the basis of how well he liked the fire that resulted, rather than on how accurately the comet hit.

The gun is bore-sighted, and breech loaded with a small disc comet (22mm dia. x 8mm thick) with a lift bag attached. The "coin" comets seem to travel as accurately as "square" ones (go fig!), and, of course, they burn out quickly.

The turn-lock breech plug is fitted with a nichrome wire igniter that's good for about 100 shots before the element must be replaced (field replacable). It's sealed at the breech with two stepped o-rings. Firing is by 12v DC or AC supply, as required. It fires roughly 1/3 second after pressing the switch.

The breech end swivel block is made from 6061 aluminum, as is the base. The barrel is turned from #316 alloy SS for corrosion resistance. It's threaded

40tpi to allow a "short barrel" version that will diminish the maximum distance the comets will travel. On one angle shot, we had to keep the comet within 40' of the launch position. On the other shots, it could safely travel further, so the longer barrel afforded better accuracy.

The whole thing mounts on a standard 1/4"-20 tripod. We shot it from a

5-in-12 rooftop, so the footing was a bit chancy!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sounds like an excellent piece of machinery Lloyd! Would it be patentable and saleable to the film industry? you could make yourself a bit of cash an a name?

"Hey Bill, fetch me the Spooneburgh Shooter outta the truck"

one minor point - youssendit isn't quite as useful for pics as the dropbox.

Cheers,

Zed

Reply to
zedbert

The 7 "P"s in action.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

(In this vernacular) What's a "P"?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I guess it would be sales-worthy, but most pyros are fond of making their own gear, mostly because each of us just _KNOWS_ he can do it better than anybody else! Then there's the monumental product liability thing...

Yeah, about the dropbox. I've never used it before, and didn't find a recent use of it to figure out how. I'll pay closer attention, because I don't like Yousendit all that much, either.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

At a party once we were shooting bottle rockets at another party(that was shooting at us). We were using bottles to guide our rockets. Very inaccurate. I tried putting the stick of the bottle rocket in the barrel of a .22 rifle. It felt a little odd, aiming a real gun at the people in the other party, but I got over it. First shot I put it into the crowd. It was kinda spooky accurate--try it sometime--it will surprise you. Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Just a guess. "Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Perfect Prior Planning Prevents Piss- Poor Performance

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Well... yeah... I guess. It _did_ work.

I used the same amount of time making the tool as I'd have spent trying to do a cobbled-up shot on the set.

But... it wasn't four hours, late at night, on a 5:12 roof, pissed off, tired, director bitching, etc. What with 40+ crew and talent on the set, the producer really liked not paying for all that extra time at union rate. And I have the tool for "again".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:37:37 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" quickly quoth:

You DID bill him for your OWN time, right? Saving him full crew time should be worth it to him.

Cool tool.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ours was a fee-based contract. It was in my interest to save time, too.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh