Quenching of Superconducting Magnet

Do any one has the experience on quenching of 400 MHz NMR magnet? In our laboratory, there is an accident. We don't know the actual reason. The quenching time is about 5-6 minutes. What kind of collision on the magnet could induce such quenching? I could find no physical damage on the magnet. Do any one has the idea about the issuse?

Reply to
John Ng

--Try reposting to sci.physics.electromag

Reply to
steamer

The boiloff of cryogens may haver taken 5-6 minutes, the actual quenching of the magnetic field goes pretty quickly, probably less than a second.

It doesn't require a collision of anything with the magnet. Sometimes a flaky magnet will quench with just movement of nearby equipment that affects the field (not so likely with an NMR magnet as with a medical MRI magnet). And, of course, the biggest reason for quenches is the loss of cryogens due to laziness, trouble with the cryogen level indicator or an ice bridge.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

What was the field that the magnet quenched at, and what is it's maximum rated field?

Is this a new installation, and was the magnet trained up at the field it quenched at?

jim rozen