Question about Denzo direct drive starter variations

I have breakfast with groups of old car guys. This morning a old guy that runs a starter/ alternator repair shop, says that a man brought in a denzo direct drive starter that was on a small ford tractor with probably a 3 cyl kubota diesel engine. It had exploded from not disengaging when the engine started. This is basically the same as a starter in a 89 nissan B210 except for a different starter drive and more interestingly the nissan starter uses 4 brushes and the diesel starter uses only 3, 2 + brushes and 1 - brush. The diesel armature uses .003 smaller wire. His whole sale cost for the diesel starter is

5 times more than the car starter. He told the customer, if you want to take a chance, I will put diesel starter drive on the cheaper car starter and save you a lot of money, if it doesn't perform satisfactorily, return it and get your money back. My question is about the different electrical flow patterns and torque values in the 2 armatures. And i would think that the diesel would want more torque and need more electricity and not want fewer brushes to conduct that electricity. PS I hope the guy isn't mistaken and the the diesel model really did have 4 brushes and one of them disappeared in the over speed. Thanks for listening
Reply to
reissmachinist

I'll bet the Nissan starter works just fine there. The larger wire should compensate. You didn't mention relative brush size between the two. I'd give it a try if it were my tractor.

Me Strong, like ox; SMART, like tractor.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There was a "Canadian" 210 starter that was geared down; that would be even better...

Reply to
David Lesher