Question on old Skil saw

I bought an ancient Skil Saw for a few bucks, thinking that I was going to use it with a metal cutting blade to cut steel plate. (Obligatory metal content).

When I got it home and plugged it in, the blade spun, but slowly and it seemed to pick up speed gradually, kind of like a fan, not like circular saws that I was familiar with. Then I heard and smelled a "pop" in the cord near the saw, complete with a small burn hole in the cracked insulation. It tripped the GFI outlet it was plugged into, so my guess is that there was a short to ground in the cord.

The saw has an AC/DC motor, 12 amps, and is a model 825. My guess is that it is around 50 years old. It is massive and heavy. It has an 8 inch blade, which seemed unusual to me.

My question is what to do with it. If the only problem was the cord, that is not a big deal. I could visit my local repair depot and buy a cord and perhaps brushes. However, the way it wound up slowly made me think that there was another problem with it. I am not real enthused about messing around with it if it is not likely to work more or less right after a little work. What do you think? Should I throw it in the trash or give it away on Craigs list? Or should I invest a few more bucks in a cord and hope that solves the problem? I don't want to throw good money after bad, but perhaps I can get it working right without too much trouble.

I know a moderate amount about electricity, but am not familiar with troubleshooting motors. I do have a VOM, and know how to use it.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

If it is a cap start motor, the cap may be dried out at this point. This will cause the motor to start slow until you hear the click of the switch cutting out the start cap. The wiring will be not problem and my favorite source for wire is old extension cords that have a bad far end on them or cut/rubbed sections in them. You can put on a short piece of cord as well as many saws and such come with just a 1' long cord on them.

Bob May

If it has an AC/DC motor (what's typically called a "universal motor") then there is no capacitor start nor centrifugal switch. Universal motors are fairly simple devices: the only things to check are the brushes, the commutator, the windings, and the bushings/bearings.

From your description, I'd guess that you have two unrelated problems:

  1. The power cord is bad (obviously).
  2. Your bushings/bearings are gummed-up or varnished from old oil. That could account for the slow start.

Have you tried turning the blade by hand (with the saw unplugged of course)? If it feels stiff or has a lot of drag (like stirring molasses), then you might be able to solve the problem by disassembling, cleaning, and re-lubricating.

Of course, if this is the heavy-duty Skill saw with the worm gear drive, then the problem could be in the gearbox. The oil in there may have turned gummy, or there may not be much oil at all, or a previous owner may have packed it with sawdust.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Try a temporary new cord first - a bad cord could cause it to have low voltage / current- causing it to wind up slowly. However, the chances are even better on that saw that you have a shorted armature. If you don't now, you WILL if you use it to cut metal. The chip exhaust is too close to the armature cooling air inlet. I've fried a good saw (shorted the armature) cutting aluminum. Now I only do it with ny Beaver table saw - with drip-proof motor mounted where it doesn't see many chips.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

It's a "universal" motor, like all circular saws - so obviously no cap.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I have done a few of these. Take it apart. Clean well. Polish the armature. Replace the bearings and brushes. If a worm drive clean out the gear box and relube.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

The 825 is a worm drive saw....and I think Bob's advice should do it....These saws are pretty hard to kill !

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

Thanks to all for the tips. I ended up taking it apart and attaching a temporary power cord. The coils measured less than one ohm, but both were about the same. It did nothing at first, but then I unplugged it and rotated the blade a bit, plugged it in, and it fired right up to high speed, like a circular saw should, sounded normal. Not sure if I have a bad spot on the commutator or not, or just needed to seat the brushes. I will go down to the repair depot next week to buy a replacement cord, and I should be in business.

It is different to be taking apart old equipment, with cloth insulation on the wires, everything built like a tank, etc. Not designed for ease of manufacturing, at least to my eyes. One of the surprises was that the trigger switch interrupted both hot and neutral, not just the hot side, but maybe that is more common than I think.

Richard

Richard Fergus> I bought an ancient Skil Saw for a few bucks, thinking that I was going

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Get a longer cord and make it up as necessary. Ace hardware or the like. The two pole switch is probably because they needed just one switch type both for 110 and 220.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Reply to