Question to HSMers -- have you used drill bits above 5/8"

In a word - YES - I had a few - and naturally - needed to buy yet another! If I can do the work on the lathe or mill (didn't have a mill back then) I might bore it out. But the drill press needed slowly moving up in sizes until I got the correct size. I try never to drill a large hole from scratch.

Having a nice wide set is wonderful. I have fractional, numeric and metric (in .1mm increments) so If on the machines, I could slowly step up and take easy cuts on all.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ignoramus17640 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

LOL...I made an adapter today to clamp to the end of the forklift forks, to hold a trailer ball, so I cam move the various trailers around, and needed a 1" drill bit for the ball bolt hole, and a 37/64s for the

5/8-18 tap for the two clamp bolts. I think this is the first time Ive ever drilled and tapped for a 5/8-18..and it was nice to be able to open the drawer, and grab one of each.

I finally found a use for the old two piece balls that Ive had hanging around for years, that Ive started to throw away a half dozen times.

Ill post a picture tomorrow after the paint dries.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Why? I drilled a pilot hole the size of the web on the 1" I used today, punched it, then went right for the 1"

The smaller 37/64, slammed em without any pilot.

Gunner

(in .1mm increments)

Reply to
Gunner

That statement is just wrong, and on SO many levels... ;-P

But it does bring up an interesting question - How the heck did you split them into two pieces in the first place? And how were you going to throw them away? Mine are rather firmly attached.

On second thought, I don't wanna know - it sounds seriously painful...

No thanks, I think I'll pass on that one.

"Jura pbeerpgyl ivrjrq, Rirelguvat vf yrjq." - Gbz Yruere Naq lrf, V xabj lbh ner ersrevat gb genvyre uvgpu onyyf - gurer ner gvzrf jura lbh qba'g fxvc jbeqf orpnhfr guvatf pna or gnxra bhg bs pbagrkg...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Rirelbar arrqf n fgenvtug zna, abj naq gura

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Gosh - just where is that 'rotate-Right' and rotate-Left command now. Used to be in rn or xrn as I recall. send scrambled text.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Big drills always need a pilot - maybe 1/4" - something of a guide hole, but intended to be open as the tip on the web doesn't really cut it smears. If there was a hole - then the lip starts to cut from it.

Look at the lfm of the outer tip of a drill. Then the 1/16 drill part of the center pointed web.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:

(in .1mm increments)

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yes. I can re-measure if you have serious interest.

Yes, I liked it too, but I would be unlikely to read it twice. Glad it is in good hands.

Ignoramus14670

I looked at them again, no, there is a few much larger ones that have an even bigger taper. Maybe MT6, they are very large,

Ignoramus14670

Yes? Your post indicated you worked up in sizes slowly until you got to the correct size. Did I read that wrong?

Gunner

(in .1mm increments)

Reply to
Gunner

My big clausing 1501 lathe is MT 4 at the tailstock IRRC. I was hoping for some large bits, but MT5 wont do me much good Im afraid.

But thanks!

When I send it on to Larry..Ill include a hermetically sealed baggy with a cigarette butt and some cat hair, just to keep in charector

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Dunno but I do that, too. On my cheap Chinese bench drill press.

On the Arboga radial arm drill, I just set the speed & hit the power feed lever...... cost me $400 with a truly frightening orange spray can paint job but what the hell, paint doesn't drill holes.

PDW

Reply to
Peter

If it were me, I'd work up. But I have fractional, number and metric drills so the step up to final size can be easy. The idea is to slice out metal not chop or gouge it out. But that is not a production way, but a quality way - maybe it just saves my drills longer.

I'm sure the shops that have all the HP they want do as they can get away with.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:

(in .1mm increments)

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

According to Martin H. Eastburn :

That can get exciting if you are drilling brass -- unless you "dub" your drill bits (remove the rake for the first fraction of an inch behind the cutting edge.)

And maybe it simply makes it possible to drive the larger drills with a drill press which does not have a sufficiently strong motor.

Sure -- time is money in a production shop.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

True enough. Personally, Id rather get the hole drilled in as few motions as posible and then go on to the next thing. But then..I tend to think in "production", rather than "art".

Hammer to shape, file to fit and paint to cover.

Gunner

metric (in .1mm increments)

Reply to
Gunner

You forgot: Stick it in that dark corner of the shop so no one notices the paint job. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just today, I needed a 33/64" drill bit, I am damn glad that I had one... question has been answered 100%...

Ignoramus906

Budda Bing!

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Used a 1" twist drill Sunday. I was turning a piece on the lathe and needed to rough out the center bore.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Lotsa times. Not every day, but lotsa times.

Reply to
Brian Lawson