Radio Question

If the mast is wood, you could wind a helix around it. If it has guy wires, you could insulate at the top and bottom and make a sloping V with multiple feeds to change direction.

Sure.... assume an infinite trailer roof. :)

Gunner may want to look at a grounded horizontal loop running around the perimeter of the trailer roof, far enough from the edge that the antenna isn't visible from the ground. Bring the end down the side of the trailer a couple of inches and put the tuning capacitor inside.

Look at the HF antenna on the Chinook as an example.

Third picture down:

Among the disadvantages are non-portability and the need to rip it off when you move the trailer.

You don't want to get too wrapped around the antenna. Down at those frequencies it takes a real big directional antenna- like a Beverage or a Rhombic- to make a big difference. (The one at work that was used to talk around the world is about the size of perhaps six football fields) Otherwise you are sucking in as much noise as signal.

Make sure you use Monster cable for good reception.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Forgot a couple of things about ferrit rod antennas. Since you might be using this antenna indoors (like inside of a window) simply connect the "Antenna" wire to one end of the coated magnetic wire (remove coating where required), the magnitic wire should be wound around the ferrit rod leaving an inch or two or rod unwrapped and each end. You can tape up this whole mess or stick it inside of a piece of PVC or whatever (plastic) to make hanging the antenna easier. Because your in a metal RV, if you ground the radio to the frame, you will increase the shielding effect of the Rv's body, so I suggest using some plain old speaker wire cut to the same lenth as the magnetic wire in your antenna, and lay this wire out on the floor, behind shit, out of the way, but stretched out. Use this for your antenna ground. If you place the antenna "outside" then none of this shit matters and ground away...Anyways, it's not coat hanger and tin foil, but it ought to work just as well. n.

Reply to
North

I was going to suggest this but thought I'd read the rest before doing so. :-) If it was for a specific freq it could even still be grounded at the base and fed with a Gamma match. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I think we're saying the same thing here. He should go with the kind of antenna that fits his need for stealth, be it vertical, horizontal, or loop.

Heh. Somebody had a birthday recently, and netted a copy of "The Antenna Book" by the ARRL. This may be the same book you are referring to. It's great.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

In this RV park..the only flag that wouldnt get stolen is the Mexican flag. Few of my neighbors are english speakers.

But its an idea.

Gunner

Gunner

I really want to listen to the SW bands. I think Ill dig into my Stuff when finally go home this weekend and see what Ive got stashed in my comm gear bins. I like the idea of the wire on standoffs around the edge of the roof. Attaching them is going to be problematic.

Gunner

Gunner

Actually..the only one in this park is on my truck. I do have a spare K40 48" whip somewhere around the homestead, and Ill dig it out this weekend and make up a mount and run some coax and give it a try.

Im sure Im going to need a power line filter though. The radio may be run off 12vt dc, or line, or 8 D batteries. I may simply use a DC supply and see if that kills some of the noise from the puter.

Gunner

Gunner

Exactly. They'll have different gains and different angles of reception, which will produce different levels of performance, but polarization is not a factor when you're dealing with sky waves.

The primary goals should be to get some wire out in the clear and get it away from sources of electrical noise. If you have a lot of noise, making the wire longer should help, up to a point.

Mine is the 1968 edition. BTW, our recent discussion got me interested in getting my license again, so I went out last week and took the Tech and General class tests. I got my General-class call today but it's a 2-over-3: KC2NZT. I'll go after the Extra and see if I can get a shorter call.

Also BTW, an antenna that a friend and I shared in college, which we used for both transmitting and receiving, was a twin-lead vertical combined with the TV antenna mast, for a three-wire vertical in total. We ran the twin-lead up but didn't connect it to the TV antenna terminals. Instead, we soldered the two wires together about a foot below the TV antenna, and then soldered them to the mast. We soldered all three together again at the bottom of the mast. Maybe we got some top-hat capacitance out of the TV antenna.

Anyway, it worked pretty well. We had a commercial antenna tuner (Drake? I forget), and we could load it on just about any band and get out fairly effectively, of course better on some bands than others.

It was like Gunner's situation: almost any TV antenna was acceptable there, but nothing else was.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Would the park allow you to have a patio umbrella? Maybe you could attach a loop antenna to the underside of it. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get away with a 20' square umbrella.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete & sheri

In Message-ID: posted on Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:58:29 GMT, Gunner wrote: Begin

Don't get your hopes up, puter noise is airborne (RF), IOW comes in through the antenna. Read about that phase inversion box I mentioned (ANC-4)

Bart Bailey

In Message-ID: posted on Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:51:35 GMT, Gunner wrote: Begin

How about the UFW flag

Bart Bailey

I'm quite sure that gunner had to block up his RV and remove the wheels/tires to:

A) keep his RV from getting stolen

B) keeps his RV's wheels and tires from getting stolen.

How long do you think gunner would remain the owner of such an umbrella ? Minutes ? hours ? day or two ? Remember the universal trailer park law "If it ain't inside, it ain't yours (anymore)"

n.

Reply to
North

Or the variation: If it ain't nailed down, it's mine, and if I can pry/jackhammer/chainsaw/hoist/dynamite/otherwise get it loose, it wasn't nailed down" :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

One pair "C Rural" telephone wire, interesting stuff. Two 14-ga copper plated steel wires in an oval molded hard jacket - was rubber, now polyolefin. The copper carried the signal, the steel gave it the strength. You hang it from the pole with steel wire preforms like on steel strand.

Designed to be strung under tension like a steel messenger, could go up to (IIRC) 400' between poles, so they didn't have to use any more poles than the power company did. Saved them intersetting new poles to support phone wires in between the power poles.

This wire was designed for feeding that one lone farmhouse 3 or 4 miles off the main road. One big problem, the stuff is a bear to splice, Nicopress sleeves and solder, then lots of tape... So you'd take a whole reel of it out, enough to string the whole run as one piece, and use the tap-feed fittings at each end. Add more taps in the middle if you needed bridge tap drops for the barn or outbuildings.

And no twist to it, so it could still pick up noise from power.

This stuff wouldn't make a good SW/MW antenna, unless you were going for a /really/ long long-wire. And I'm not sure what effects the two wires in parallel would have, even if you shorted them together at each end.

-->-- Ex-Construction Cable Splicer.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I had the same problem with my PC, I could pick up noise all over the house, especially bad below 4-5 MHz. I put ferrite cores on every power cord I involved with the PC & the radio as well & that improved it quite a bit. later on I replaced my CRT monitor with a LCD & now the problem seems to be gone all togeather :). YMMV.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Also follow the instructions about bonding the coax as it exits the RV shell.

Because the metal skin is a good faraday shield as you say, it will keep the rf noise from getting *outside* where the antenna is. So all you need to do is make sure that the rf does not ride along the sheild of the coax and get to the antenna. By bonding the shield (stopping off at a bulkhead fitting) to the skin, you prevent this.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

6 mHz in the evenings is good....
Reply to
jtaylor

I don't know if this would work or not, but it's certainly stealthy. It depends on the RV not being grounded to RF. If it is grounded to the utility, an RF choke in the ground line would fix that: just a few turns of #14 on a large ferrite toroid. I can send you a toroid.

Think of the RV itself as a fat whip. It is certainly more than 4 feet high. It will have a large capacitance to ground, but a whip is just a capacitive E-field probe and radiation resistance for short antennae is very very low.

For "ground", you then create a counterpoise on the ground under the RV. It could be a length of wire, radials, or even chicken wire. It is out of sight and essentially invisible.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I actually have one of them. Long story.

Gunner

Gunner

OOOOO...sneaky!

Gunner