receiver antenna length

How long should the rx ant. be? Can I place it through a tube inside of the plane and let the extra length extend through the tail?

Darren.

Reply to
Darren Earle

The antenna length should be as long as it came in the box. It is fine to run the antenna thru a tube and let it hang out the back, just dont run it thru a metal or carbon fiber tube. Those plastic pushrod tubes are OK. Never trim the length of your receiver antenna. Some receivers for park flyers and the like come with a bobbin to wrap the wire around so less wire is hanging from the rear of the plane but this will shorten the range a bit.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

On 12/24/2003 3:09 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

The antenna should be 1 meter long (39"). Yes, you can put it in a tube with the excess hanging out. Two caveats with this though. Do not do it if you are using a metal or metalicized covering (MonoKote chrome) because of definite signal loss and interference. The other caveat is to make sure you do a range check before flying.

FWIW - I use the Hayes 18" antenna on the majority of my planes and have had no problems at all. I have also used antenna inside the fuselage on planes covered with Coverite and Solartex silver with minimal range drop. My range test dropped from 160' to about 130' with the silver coverite and to about 140' with the silver Solartex. The Hayes 18" antenna did not reduce my range, but it is a "loaded" antenna.

Hope this answers your questions.

Havy a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

For 40 size planes and up I have found that running a tube the length of the plane and then inlet it into the leading edge of the vertical fin makes a pretty good installation, what little of the antenna that hangs out at the top of the fin is minor and out of the way where it doesn't drag on the ground.

-- Red Scholefield AMA 951 District V

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I use the antenna that came with my receiver.

What could be better than the manufacturer's recommendation....

my 2 cents

Reply to
xman Charlie

On 12/24/2003 7:22 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

You are correct, however, I have several scale models that the antenna showing would detract from its looks. By using the Hayes antenna I can completely conceal the antenna in the fuselage with little if any drop in range.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Nver listen to people who tell you that the antenna length is critical to the last micrometer.

Route it as l;ong as you can out to a wingtip,. iup to teh tail, ort down a non metallic and non carbon tube, and if there is a bit left over leave it in a bundle or cit it off. Range checak to make sure, and fly.

If it range cheacks OK, its working.

That is true, and the range due to the short aerial and simple electronics isn't much to start with.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many things, too complex to mention.

I use whatever bit of wire I can bury in the plane. hook it up, range check it out and just fly the ***er.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher