need heating element

Have an old theater popcorn popper and they no longer supply parts for
my model. I need the coil type with 3/8 " od and 3 foot long. about
2800 watts. The old one was 220 volts but I prefer 115 volts. Dryers
are too hot and 220. Any ideas would be appreciated. Dale
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Check with an electrical parts outlet place, motor repair shop, etc. and ask for an appropriate length of "nichrome" wire. They should be able to help you determine the correct gauge and length for 2800 watts. You can coil the wire over the insulators in the same form as original.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
If you are referring to sheathed elements like those in electric ovens then they are available from electrical/electronic suppliers in various lengths and wattages. For instance
formatting link
search for "Straight Element Immersion Heaters". These can then be bent as per the original
drandall wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
Hi Dale:
It may be obvious but 2800 watts at 115 volts means about 25 amps; a 30 amp circuit and 10 gauge wire (or is it 8 gauge? Go with 8 ga for a margin of safety) will be necessary.
Just a thought. Best regards -- P'rfesser
Reply to
By "coil type" he may have meant that the nichrome wire was in the form of a close wound coil spring (like the old "hotplates" used to have.) before getting stretched slightly when fitted into or around the ceramic insulator(s).
If that's the case then he'll need to use some sort of spring winding technique.
Since the OP said he'd like to change from 220 volts to 115 volts, if he keeps the "spring OD" the same, and the number of turns the same, he'll have to use a wire diameter about 1.4 times the diameter of the present wire to get about the same wattage from the same number of turns at the lower voltage. If that doesn't leave enough room between the turns when fitted into/onto the insulator(s) he'll have to go to a slightly thinner wire with a few less turns.
That could get interesting...But it wouldn't take rocket science to calculate what's needed for a given "spring OD".
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Good to know.
To the OP, mebbe a dishwasher element (perhaps 2) would work, easy to find at scrap yards, more often 120V. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
This is easy to make yourself, so don't think you have to hunt around for a ready-made replacement.
Mic the resistance wire diameter. Estimate the length, look up ohms/foot for the wire diameter, confirm estimated resistance close to measurement with an ohmmeter. Buy a spool of that size resistance wire from
formatting link
and wind your own coil around a dowel. Winding coils in the typical wire gages is not difficult.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Site Timeline

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.