Ran a motor with servo drive today

I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode instead of voltage mode.

Ignoramus11285

Progress! I wish I was there to watch, drink your beer and maybe even help ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Wes, I have a huge supply of Miller Lite, if you are ever in the area, I would love to see you!

Ignoramus11285

Iggy, I can see an additiction coming on. THERE IS NO CURE. You'd best stop now before you are totally hooked. That little thrill you get everytime a machine does your bidding must be fed. You'll need larger and larger fixes. Soon your home will be taken over with top performing machines you paid little or nothing for.

Just a hopeless addict warning you.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Three questions to ask yourself when considering any tool acquisition:

  1. How often would I use it?

  1. Do I have room for it?

  2. Do I already have a way to do the same task adequately?

Answering these questions honestly helps keep the addiction in check.

Reply to
Pete C.

It is hard to pass by $5 milling machines and working on them is fun. This is definitely the last one, however, as I have no more space.

Ignoramus12901

Do your motors have tachometers on them?

It's good for you to know how to run the drives like this, if there is a problem and an axis doesn't move sometime, you will be able to tell if the problem is in the drive or somewhere else.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Heck, after you're done you can double your money and sell the mill for $10 and do another one! :-) I can't wait to see pics of your home made tool changer after you get the mill running.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Yep.

I still have not decided if I should use voltage mode or tachometer mode.

Tachometer mode seems to be more accurate, but with potential for trouble if tachometer stops working.

Ignoramus12901

Saved for prosperity..and to be trotted out in a year or two and held over his head in glee as he starts talking about the next machine he drags home.

Gunner, hard core machinery addict. One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

ROTFLMAO

Ignoramus12901

Maybe some day the company will get back to the concept that training is a valuable asset and I can attend training at Fanuc in Chicago. If it happens, I'll look you up.

Wes

Wes