Interesting metal sighting

Driving down to Vegas on Thursday. From the right at my 2 o'clock is an A-10 headed straight at the Interstate, running about 250' elevation. Right before he gets to I-15, he banks hard right, and proceeds towards Nellis paralleling the freeway. About thirty seconds behind him, another does the same. I have not seen military aircraft at that low of an elevation except up close to the Site or the Gunnery Range, or around Nellis taking off and landing. We've seen them up there where we could see the pilot's faces. And sometimes they were screaming, and kicking up dust on the ground. It rattles your teeth because they are on you before you ever see them. Those A-10's were doing about 100 knots. Stall speed on them is 70, IIRC.

Cool.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

Flying in under radar sometimes is a complex task. Practice, practice, practice.

How about three wings of B-52s circling overhead as they meet up for formation and painted in war colors - that happened to me on the school yard.

I knew only one wing was up at a time and they were all silver. Saw my dad a couple of days later - he was a Radar expert -

One day - they called it "Bay of Pigs" ... You know what I mean.

Sometimes planning is neat. I heard from one crew member a couple of years ago - on TV - they had practiced on most towns in the mid west - bombing runs.

Mart> Driving down to Vegas on Thursday. From the right at my 2 o'clock is an

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:55:47 -0700, "Steve B" wrote the following:

Really cool. I saw a Warthog RC plane yesterday at the -tiniest- air show I've ever been to. It had about a 5' wingspan. I love those old dogs, but I'd sure like a bit more thrust from the engines if I were flying one. Hmm, pilot's license training runs $8-10k nowadays... Naaah, ain't gonna happen.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Love those Warthogs. My favorite plane. Possibly tied with the F86

Reply to
RBnDFW