Really Stupid Question

At the risk of opening myself up to massive ridicule.

Does the "back gear" or low speed gear on your typical manual knee mill turn in the reverse direction of the high speed gear? I've heard the term back gear many times. Is that what it means?

I was just getting ready to try some chucked up power tapping on the new South Bend 10x54 (SB1028F), and the spindle spun in reverse of the direction indicated on the control panel in the lower gear. It spins the direction indicated in the higher gear.

I've never owned a real full on full feature knee mill before. The Hurco KMB1 doesn't count because it does what the VFD tells it to do.

I can write G-code for simple jobs at the control panel, but I don't know all that much about this manual machine.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ah-yup! Got it answered. Didn't know before.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

At the risk of opening myself up to massive ridicule...

Does the "back gear" or low speed gear on your typical manual knee mill turn in the reverse direction of the high speed gear? I've heard the term back gear many times. Is that what it means?

That 'feature' wasn't mentioned when I learned to run a Bridgeport.

On an old belt-driven South Bend lathe the gear shaft for low range is located in back of the spindle, and I thought that term carried over to the mill.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins